forum  general

how to handle what family/friends will think?2 weeks

You could always say you're bulking; trying something different to make you stronger. Say a friend suggested it at the gym. I've been going to the gym too so I kind of use that excuse.

I've always been skinny so any sort of weight gain is noticeable on me but At this point I've just filled out so it isn't as noticeable as losing definition.

There's no way to avoid other people's initial shock and criticism, and the feelings that arise from having to deal with their reactions. The good thing is, they will eventually get used to your being fat and out of shape, which means that all of those feelings of being self-conscious and concerned about what other people will think will gradually fade away since people will literally not even remember that you were once thin & fit. It does take time, though (a few years) and if you have meddling/controlling people in your life, you may need to be firm and tell them that your health and weight is not something you are willing to discuss.

Family and friends WILL be shocked at a big and rapid weight gain. You have to be prepared for a bad reaction from some of them

My biggest issue was my girlfriend's mother.
Well-meaning but very traditional. She kept telling me it was my duty as a man to put her daughter on a diet and make her slim down.

But we got married, she got bigger and bigger, and her mother just started accepting it. She simply realized her daughter wasn't going to lose weight, and was just getting happier as she got fatter.

My mother too.
She really doesn't like fat people (I'm becoming convinced she's borderline anorexic), but she just accepts that my wife is so happy the way she is, there's no reason to bother her about her size.