Fat experiences

Broke my first chair in public today! :)

I weigh about 320 now and today I broke my first chair in public! smiley

It was at a tiny Mexican food place (4 huge carne asada tacos for $3.50!) and the only chairs were these flimsy white molded plastic lawn chairs. I felt the thing bend when I sat down, but it took me by surprise when one of the legs just collapsed and snapped off! :o I wasn't leaning or anything - it just went under my weight!

I wasn't hurt and not a lot of people saw it (and more importantly I didn't drop my tacos!) so all in all, an interesting experience! I put some money in the tip jar for the chair though. Kind of felt bad about that.

Anyone else with a similar story? smiley
15 years

Thanks and thanks to zonker for posting! I've broken a desk chair or two at home - the pneumatic hight adjustment just gives out after a while - but not in public before! Keep up with those brownies and cookies and new chairs should be coming your way on a regular basis! smiley
15 years

I actually had a really vivid dream last night about breaking a chair. It was kind of weird (as most of my dreams tend to be) but I remember sitting in an antique chair that was my mom's and the thing just shatters - then out of no where, my mom was there saying "that kind of thing has been happening a lot recently, hasn't it?" "Maybe you really out to try to lose some weight." Then I remember thinking, "Oh, great, she has noticed my gains this summer - I was hoping to avoid having to talk to her about it."

After that, it gets kind of garbled, but I remember feeling guilty. smiley

My parents were actually coming for a visit and I had broken the chair at the restaurant recently, so not too surprising that I had a dream about it.

Now, there are about 8 different scientific theories about dreaming, none of which have been proven conclusively, but I like a new theory that has been proposed recently. This theory states that dreams are often (not always) "dress rehearsals" for threatening situations in our lives. Our brains are essentially running subconscious simulations to help us deal with these threatening situations in a "safe" environment. Our brains are running variations on themes that we have encountered in real life, or in our imaginations, that produce stress reactions - thereby helping us to react appropriately when confronted with the actual situation. This would explain why many dreams are negative or disturbing in nature - the more stress we encounter on a particular subject, the more our brains try to "help" by running these training scenarios.

We could imagine our ancestors dreaming about running from saber-tooth tigers, or fighting off aggressive rivals - while what I get is anxiety dreams about breaking chairs! On the other hand, I don't run very fast, so the saber-tooth dreams probably wouldn't be very much fun!

Anyone else for some self-analysis? :o
15 years

Twitch wrote:
congrats Psyman... Now I want tacos lol. What a nice guy, you even gave a tip. If I was working there I would have given you a high five on that one.

Thanks! smiley
15 years

doe135:
I almost broke a chair a while ago. In a burger place they had these plastic chairs and when I sat down it started bending but I managed to get up before I was on the floor. Luckily they also had more sturdy bench[img][/img]es to sit on smiley

Just last week I bent the metal legs of a stool. The stool just kept getting lower and lower. I too managed to get off of it before it came all they way down. The humiliating part was that there was a witness.
8 years

I haven't broken a chair...yet. I did, however, have to climb up on an Ikea stool/chair to change a light bulb and I could see the legs beginning to bow out under my weight. Ya gotta give it to the Swedish...their furniture may bend and creak but they don't break and it's oh so cute.
8 years

SweetLittleTreat:
How funny! I'm glad everything worked out.

I've never broken a chair or anything, but I have plopped my belly onto my family's super old sink and it made a little spiderweb crack through it. Nobody noticed, but my love still teases me about it to this day. I gotta say it makes me pretty happy.

Not gonna lie...I'm kinda jealous. I never developed a belly hang so I couldn't fill up a sink or plop it down on a table.
8 years

I know!

My wife decided to stand up on one of those IKEA tables she uses for a computer desk in the bedroom, so she could reach the top of the window to mess with the mini-blinds. As soon as she climbed up on it, it sagged in the middle under her 280lbs. and the legs were swaying back and forth a little bit. It looked like it was smiling, but creaking like it was struggling. It didn't break though. (Later, I looked it up online and found out it was only rated to support 110lbs.!)

I once saw some "crush fetish" video where a 420lb. woman sits on an IKEA table of some sort and crushes objects like toy cars. (They noted in that video's comments that they were amazed that she never broke the table during all the filming!)

MissPorker:
I haven't broken a chair...yet. I did, however, have to climb up on an Ikea stool/chair to change a light bulb and I could see the legs beginning to bow out under my weight. Ya gotta give it to the Swedish...their furniture may bend and creak but they don't break and it's oh so cute.

thecompguy:

YES! lol

PS you sound like a lucky man.
8 years