Fat experiences

Reaction of family/friends/society

I was never really fit, but when I hit puberty when I was a teenager I started gaining weight. My grandma got worried about me getting fat, so she made me run on a treadmill for 30 minutes after school… She would pick me up from my house since I didn’t live with her… My parents used to say “do you want to end up like your best friend’s sister?” (She was huge and had to be taken to the hospital in a ambulance once. She lost weight since then though…) Needless to say, they didn’t take me gaining weight well. And once I started purposely gaining weight at 20, my grandma tried to get me to join a gym. That never happened and never will. She’d be shocked to see me now for multiple reasons, one being much bigger than I was when I seen her last. (Which has been over 12 years now. I’m about 50 lbs bigger than I was the last time I seen her.) I know she was just concerned about my health, but it’s my body and I can gain weight if I want to which of course I do!
1 year

I never really cared about how society sees me. I just do what makes me happy. I have recently accidentally lost some weight and mom asked "How do you feel about it. And do you like it?" I couldn't tell her that I don't like it and really want to get FATTER.
1 year

CuppaJoe:
I have been thin all of my life. Recently I have put on about 25 pounds over a 6 month period, and I hadn't seen my parents during this time.

The first time I saw them, i could see my mom sizing me up a bit. Her way of saying something was, "You look good. Have you been working out?"

Lol - either my mom is a closet feeder or she was politely dancing around the fact that she noticed my added weight.

OMG I love your Mom! 😁😂 When my parents see my at Xmas I'll watch them struggle not to say anything. Which is better from the very fatphobic bullsh#@ in the past. Luckily, I have no Fs to give. 😂 What EVER, they've got their own worse problems.
1 year

I haven’t seen my family since 2018 when I was 160ish pounds lighter than I currently I am. I’m sure it’ll be a shock to them.

One of my friends who I haven’t seen in a while recently asked what happened to me, this really confused me cause I really wasn’t considering my weight then they mentioned my weight and it clicked and I said I had just gotten lazy and that I’m trying to lose weight. Another asked similarly and I just said I just like to munch! nothing to bad, although one compared me to another friend who I was about the size of back in the day and how much bigger I am now.

I think people have mostly accepted that I’m a fat person now and it is what it is
1 year

My mom-in-law is a great person, but VERY traditional.

So when I started dating Lisa and she brought me to Mama, she was always scolding her daughter about her size.

"Isn't your belly so heavy?"

"As the man, you have to put my daughter on a diet!"

That was 100 pounds ago, and she's just accepted that her daughter is super obese, lovely, happy, and healthy. Even if she doesn't understand why a girl would choose to get that huge.
1 year

While they didn't say anything directly, I could tell a few of my friends were a bit taken back when they saw how much I'd gained during lockdowns. I've never been small and slowly grown heavier over the years, but my weight took a leap over those 2 years. They mostly tip toed around it, and I didn't feel a need to state the obvious.

My dad showed a little concern the first time he saw me after my lockdown gains, checking in that I was doing okay and that I didn't have any health issues emerging. He's since not really mentioned that I haven't visibly lost weight. We swap recipes regularly too and while some he's given me are on the healthier side, others are very much not and all of them are flavourful, so I don't think he's too worried either.

My mum I don't really speak to, in part because she's extremely fatphobic and judgemental. The last time she saw me I was about 45kg smaller and she was beside herself then, so I'm sure she'd lose her mind if she saw me now.
1 year

The main reason, why I’ve always lost my gains. Recently visited family, one aunt said, ‘what happened?’
And another cousin said, ‘slow it down.’
1 year