Lifestyle tips

Health: info on wim hof breathing

None of what I've written or typed is medical advice.

Search engine title > Wim Hof Breathing: Methods, Benefits and More - Healthline

Article title > The Wim Hof Method: Boost Your Health with the Iceman’s Technique

www.healthline.com/health/wim-hof-method

Article summary > It seems that Wim Hof method breathing allows conscious control of one's immune system, promotes antiinflammation, reduces anxiety and creates neurotransmittors in one's brain. It requires only the ability to breathe and relax.

Paraphrased additional safety precaution from Wim Hof > It's safest to do so laying or sitting down where you won't get hurt or drown from falling over.

Personal experiences summarized > The beginner's guided breathing video- doing so as instructed has always gone fine without incident since starting three years ago. Another guided breathing video titled "Breathe Along with Wim Hof"- this is a more advanced breath exercise. When trying to do it for the third time in a row without even a minute between the exercise, I have sometimes fallen unconscious for ten seconds.

Cold shower experince summarized > Been doing so for 5 years, most often for the past year. it's all about breath control, deep and steady, to make it go well. Singing is ok. I stop if and when shivering starts. Apparently they lower cortisol levels in the brain- there's at least one article saying so. At the start, when breathing as described, there is a sensation of some kind of fluid going out of my brain and down my spine, followed by a sense of ease and relaxation.
6 months

Happy Halloween everyone!
6 months

RobbyP:
None of what I've written or typed is medical advice.

Search engine title > Wim Hof Breathing: Methods, Benefits and More - Healthline

Article title > The Wim Hof Method: Boost Your Health with the Iceman’s Technique

www.healthline.com/health/wim-hof-method

Article summary > It seems that Wim Hof method breathing allows conscious control of one's immune system, promotes antiinflammation, reduces anxiety and creates neurotransmittors in one's brain. It requires only the ability to breathe and relax.

Paraphrased additional safety precaution from Wim Hof > It's safest to do so laying or sitting down where you won't get hurt or drown from falling over.

Personal experiences summarized > The beginner's guided breathing video- doing so as instructed has always gone fine without incident since starting three years ago. Another guided breathing video titled "Breathe Along with Wim Hof"- this is a more advanced breath exercise. When trying to do it for the third time in a row without even a minute between the exercise, I have sometimes fallen unconscious for ten seconds.

Cold shower experince summarized > Been doing so for 5 years, most often for the past year. it's all about breath control, deep and steady, to make it go well. Singing is ok. I stop if and when shivering starts. Apparently they lower cortisol levels in the brain- there's at least one article saying so. At the start, when breathing as described, there is a sensation of some kind of fluid going out of my brain and down my spine, followed by a sense of ease and relaxation.

Did we read the same article? It specifically states that the autoimmune control, and anti-inflammatory aspects are not backed up by science.

That said, breathing exercises have long been proven a good source of stress management. Doing this won't hurt you, but it's not going to do everything it claims to do.
5 months

"Results showed that the sympathetic nervous system and the immune system can be voluntarily influenced. This could be due to the anti-inflammatory effect produced by the techniques."
5 months

RobbyP:
"Results showed that the sympathetic nervous system and the immune system can be voluntarily influenced. This could be due to the anti-inflammatory effect produced by the techniques."

My dear, please go to the bottom of the very article you posted. They make it very clear that most of the things this breathing method claims to do aren't scientifically proven.

I am only going off of the evidence you have provided to me.
5 months

^Wrong
5 months

RobbyP:
^Wrong

Your lack of reading comprehension is amazing, actually.
5 months
attachment

^Would benefit from reevaluating the meaning of "Those that are include:", unless their goal is to gaslight.
5 months

RobbyP:
^Would benefit from reevaluating the meaning of "Those that are include:", unless their goal is to gaslight.

Baby girl, I sent you a screenshot that highlights the what I am talking about and shows proof it's from the article you posted. You can go look it up yourself right now and see it's there.

All I said was that the breathing method had not been scientifically proven to do all that it claims.

You posted the article. The fact that you are having this reaction means you didn't read the article very well or you didn't understand the article very well. Neither of these are conducive to good research.

And I am not gaslighting you. Gaslighting is an abuse tactic in which the abuser denies the abused person's reality and makes them question their own sanity. I'm an abuse survivor. I've been gaslit before. And if me saying your wrong and showing you proof is "gaslighting" to you, then I don't know what to tell you.
5 months

Since you decided to lash out at me, I have decided to do my own research outside of what you provided.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9028328/
medicalnewstoday.com/articles/wim-hof-breathing-method#benefits
webmd.com/balance/wim-hof-breathing-technique

All of these say the same thing. The Wim Hof method seems interesting, but more research is needed. There's only been a handful of studies thus far, and these studies have a small sample size with inconclusive results. These were posted pretty recently - 2021 and 2022.

In other words, a lot of Wim Hof's claims cannot be scientifically prove because they are still being verified.

I believe you owe me an apology.
5 months
12   loading