Fat experiences

People over/underestimating your weight

Just an observation I’ve had regarding people guessing my weight.

I find that in my day to day life, people think that I weigh less than I actually. I’ve had doctors/nurses express shock when they weigh me due to me weighing more than they thought. Yet when I ask people directly what they think I weigh, the answer is very often a lot more than I actually weigh.

Just find this very interesting, and wondering if anyone else has any thoughts/experiences with this?
5 months

IdC5:

I find that in my day to day life, people think that I weigh less than I actually. I’ve had doctors/nurses express shock when they weigh me due to me weighing more than they thought. Yet when I ask people directly what they think I weigh, the answer is very often a lot more than I actually weigh.

Just find this very interesting, and wondering if anyone else has any thoughts/experiences with this?

I have this happen to me all the time. Every doctor visit, I step on the old scale and they don't even have it set to counter-balance 200. They are always surprised to push the counterweight out farther and farther.

One nurse told me "Wow... you carry that really well."
5 months

IdC5:

Honestly, I don't think people know what different weights look like on people. I remember once upon a time, I thought 400 lbs was enormous on your average man. And it be fair, it is. But the image I pictured is much closer to the average 600 lbs man.

Plus, depending on body comp, two people with the exact same height and weight can look very different.
5 months

IdC5:

Munchies:
Honestly, I don't think people know what different weights look like on people. I remember once upon a time, I thought 400 lbs was enormous on your average man. And it be fair, it is. But the image I pictured is much closer to the average 600 lbs man.

Plus, depending on body comp, two people with the exact same height and weight can look very different.

Fully agreed! Perceived weight is totally relative.

Plus if you have a lot of muscle density, you can be a lot heavier on the scale than people's percepton.
5 months

IdC5:

Kacchan:
I have this happen to me all the time. Every doctor visit, I step on the old scale and they don't even have it set to counter-balance 200. They are always surprised to push the counterweight out farther and farther.

One nurse told me "Wow... you carry that really well."

It always surprises me when medical professionals aren’t able to gauge my weight, as you’d think they’d have a lot of experience weighing people.

I’ve had it where nurses have attempted to weigh me on like old-fashioned analogue scales that only go up to 280. It’s always fun being taken to the heavy duty scale once they realise I’m too fat for that
5 months

People guess my weight all the time to the point it's become a triggering thing and I refuse to even discuss it. If I could remove it entirely from my profile here, I would. I get told constantly I'm over/under what it's stated as and I'm shamed for it.

Everyone's body is built differently. Composition varies from one person to the next. You really have no way of knowing how accurate your guess is, and I find it so *weird* that people think they find attraction based on a number rather than physical (not dress) size, volume, composition, etc.
5 months

Well being someone who’s about 5’11 with a little bit of muscle. Some people do assume that I would be somewhat hefty. But really I’m not as heavy as I look as soon as someone has me up on their shoulders or just straight up lifting me. 😅
5 months

Interesting question. I haven't been in a lot of situations where people guess my weight, and I don't post pictures online. I do find, at the doctor's office, the nurses who weigh me often don't realize I'm well aware of how heavy I am or how much I have gained. They will usually tell me I have put on X number of pounds, as though I will be surprised.

I've also found that many people think I am taller than I am because of my overall mass. I'm quite fat, but I'm only 5'3. Often people, even when standing right in front of me, they will assume I'm 5'6 or 5'7. The reality is, I'm just short and round.
5 months

BigGator:
Hi, first post. Honestly, this topic is what made me realize I'm into gaining. I'm pretty fit, but I wear most of my weight in my butt and thighs. I'm also a runner which means my leg muscles are pretty heavy.

All this said, most people look from the waist up and call me "skinny." I sit down to eat a large meal and people get shocked when I eat everything on my plate.

I know as far as the fetish here is concerned, my 145 pound self is waifish, but people probably think I weigh less than 120 looking at me. I do like telling people I weigh more, but I am also annoyed that they seem to think I should like being called "skinny."

Body comp is crazy. Muscle is denser than fat, so a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. It sounds like you're pretty lean, so naturally, you look smaller.

You can use this to your advantage.

If you keep up with your fitness as you gain, you can get much heavier than most before you have to size up anything.
5 months

Was just discussing this with a coworker over the weekend. She is a few inches taller at least 5'6 and I was shocked when she admitted to weighing over 250. I would've pegged her around 220 or so tops and never guessed she was over 240... I still wouldn't call her fat, just chubby. Has a little pot belly, thick thighs she is self conscious about, decent caboose, but very evenly proportioned.

I am a bit shorter and definitely rounder, she was also shocked to hear I am over 275. Neither of us would assume that our weights were within about 30 pounds of each other. Anytime the topic comes up, everyone assumes I am at least 20 pounds less than I am at any given weight. Even a 100 odd pounds ago, people refused to believe I was over 160.

I also know someone who is definitely over 400 pounds and shares a similar shape to mine with a few inches on me all around. Glorious belly, wide and thick, hangs past mid thigh and rests on same table as mine does at 5'4" (chatting at opposite sides) But given their tall stature at 5'10" I wonder if they aren't actually over 500? Just impossible to guess or narrow down not knowing their exact body composition. Can't actually be twice my size, right?
4 months
12   loading