General

Any science people out there?

Moonchild wrote:
Psychology, if that counts. I get made fun of by my roommate for being into fake science. I'm definitely into theoretical physics, in fact my dream job would probably be a physics teacher, but I'm just not cut out for it. Don't have a mind for math.

Psychology counts! I majored in Biology and Psychology - teaching Psychology now, Masters in Education. Math was my least favorite subject too!
14 years

staceytron wrote:
quantum physics is my big love at the moment. Used in conjunction with my recent studies into Buddhism and Taoism, its created a very big and interesting universe of consideration for me.

sounds awesome, i desperatly want to complete the "theory of everything" which Einstein died working on...

how great would it be to "know it all"

lol not that it will ever happen...
14 years

Shadow Rogue wrote:
Maximum wrote:
staceytron wrote:
quantum physics is my big love at the moment. Used in conjunction with my recent studies into Buddhism and Taoism, its created a very big and interesting universe of consideration for me.

sounds awesome, i desperatly want to complete the "theory of everything" which Einstein died working on...

how great would it be to "know it all"

lol not that it will ever happen...

sometimes knowing too much isn't all that great.... like... knowing a roller coaster ride... once you know it... you will know how soon it ends and not really enjoy the ride. or when you to a magic show and know it's not magic but slight of hand and mirrors... yup... just kinda makes it not as great.

Oh i agree, the beauty of life is in the not knowing, doesn't stop my astronomical ambitions...

smiley
14 years

staceytron wrote:

Combining quantum physics and religion makes you either a quack or a Scientoligist
14 years

canadianfeeder66 wrote:
And right there is where you step beyond the bounds of any known physics and into the supernatural, depending on what you believe (to each their own).

I know Einstein at least hated the uncertainty principle. His opinion was "God doesn't play dice"

Well I'm not a hater but I draw the line when people start explaining their religion through the use of science. It just should not be done, as truth becomes ever so slightly bent to suit the religion.

other than that no hard feelings.
14 years

martijn wrote:
canadianfeeder66 wrote:
And right there is where you step beyond the bounds of any known physics and into the supernatural, depending on what you believe (to each their own).

I know Einstein at least hated the uncertainty principle. His opinion was "God doesn't play dice"

Well I'm not a hater but I draw the line when people start explaining their religion through the use of science. It just should not be done, as truth becomes ever so slightly bent to suit the religion.

other than that no hard feelings.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." -
-- Albert Einstein

Religion isn't always about worshiping a higher power, but it is about understanding thier are things in life outside our ability to comprehend...
14 years

I work with animals gathering data from them, Technician tho not a Biologist
14 years

Charlie_831 wrote:
Nobody will ever fully understand the universe, so in my opinion there's always room for religion provided you accept what we do know!

Maybe "God" is in fact physics itself?

I disagree with that there is room for religion for the stuff we don't know. Basically that's what religion tends to do: the things that cannot be explained become explained by a supernatural phenomenon. If people look hard enough they'll come to see that god never had to be part of the equation to start with. Historically it happened before (world is flat, sun revolves around the earth), and it will happen again.

really, I'm not a religious basher, I just think people should not always include it in all trains of though, like science, politics ect. It tends to cloud peoples judgement.

So if god is physics, who created god then? What was there before god? Consequently, does anybody know what there was before the big bang?
14 years

chad88 wrote:
A higher being is an ancient presence that has always been there. An unfathomable thing that can't be explained. So, everything has a relationship to something else. What caused the Big Bang, something must of happened to cause the universe to expand, I belive that it was a higher being.

basically your saying because you don't know what else it could be, it has to be a higher being. Well done Chad.
14 years

Moonchild wrote
Why is religion reduced to filling in the gaps?

Why does everything that cannot be explained through science (yet) have to be an act of god? It's just a way of coping with the fact that we as human beings know extremely little about the world, while we would like to pretend we know allot about the world, by explaining it as an act of supernatural powers. That's just dumb.

And even if that is the whole of its purpose, I believe the consensus is that we can never know what there was "before" the big bang life.

Not yet. If you tried to explain quantum physics three hundred years ago, your ass would belong to the inquisition. You still might get killed for it in some parts of the world.

So why not address the issue of pain and suffering while we are discussing religion. If there is a god, I feel pretty duped and think he's not really putting that much of an effort in it as supreme being. For what it's worth everybody here that feels duped by god, you can sign the following petition and maybe he'll get the message smiley
www.petitiononline.com/squidgle/petition-sign.html
14 years
12   loading