General

Classical music

Welcome to this cool thread..I like classical music a lot,too many cool and briliant composers,but i will contribute to the thread with 2 of my favorite composers..W.A.Mozart:Eine Kleine Nacht Musick and J.S.Bach:Toccata and Fugue in D flat (played in some movies to bring some mysterious effects to it)
14 years

Classical music

There's lots I like, including plenty of the 'big' names. But just to throw a bit of a wrench/spanner into the works, how about some very early stuff? skin_tint turned me on to a Couperin piece that I've been listening to a lot, Lecon de tenebres (missing three accents, sorry). Or some 20th C works? maybe Steve Reich's Tehilim?

There's a load of great stuff waiting to be listened to...smiley
14 years

Classical music

I never really liked classic music that much. But in the odd chance that I heard it, I found that classic music, some times makes sense of emotions.

I've had this with Beethoven's ninth symphony, 4th movement. It was shown in the movie a clockwork orange, while the main character was being brainwashed.

it's played while showing pieces of some of the most iconic movies of all time, namely 'triumph des willens', which is known as the German WW2 propaganda movie, made in 1934, released 1935. When I saw the film and heard the music, it seemed like they fit really well into each other.

at 4:44 of this link, you'll see what I'm talking about.

triumph des willens, as is clockwork orange is banned in some countries so the link might not work. I'm no nazi by the way smiley I'm just the kind of person you can wake up for a movie like clockwork orange
14 years

Classical music

awesome answers from martijn and spaherus..Beethoven Wagner and Grieg did wonderful contributions to the musical world..Hurray for them!!
14 years

Classical music

I listen to a lot of classical music, primarily late Romantic and early 20th century material. Some favourite composers of mine are Mahler, Grainger, and Berg. Recently I've been enjoying Zemlinsky's Lyric Symphony and Stravinsky's Petrushka a great deal.
14 years

Classical music

Wow. I'm totally impressed with some of the lists here. But am I alone in liking more contemporary stuff? Surely there's someone out there who likes minimalism? Messiaen? Morton Subotnick?

Cookie, I'd love to go to the Kempf concert at Bridgwater--anyone else in?

There's always great stuff at the Liverpool Phil, and the new conductor's totally adorable--if you haven't watched him conduct, you're really missing something. Here he is chatting: I know it's far for lots of you, but if you've any inclination to come up, it would be loads of fun. Let me know if you'd be into it.
14 years

Classical music

juicy wrote
Wow. I'm totally impressed with some of the lists here. But am I alone in liking more contemporary stuff? Surely there's someone out there who likes minimalism? Messiaen? Morton Subotnick?

I recently attended a six-hour performance of Messiaen's St-Francois d'Assise. What can I say, it was an experience. I enjoy the contemporary stuff, but am just not nearly as acquainted with it yet. Never heard of Subotnick, for instance, but I will look up the name.
14 years

Classical music

i like classical music smiley i dont really have a favorite but there is one song i heard not to long ago called claire de lune that was really nice.
14 years

Classical music

How funny I should find this thread now as I listen to Rigoletto on XM. I love opera and listen to Live from the Met each Saturday, even going a far as to sit down with my big Penguin Opera Guide and follow along. I've been obsessed with the Beethoven string quartets for a few years, puzzling my way through each. I'm also a big fan of Beethoven and Mozart piano sonatas and have to come believe they have true emotional healing powers (well, they are pretty meditative anyway). And Juicy, you are not alone in your love to 20th Cent music. Schoenberg, Bartok, Shostakovitch, Cage, Glass, Ives, Stockhausen...they all send me new states. For years I've been a jazz guy..and still am...writing reviews, etc., but I've always kept classical and opera right there next to my love of jazz.
14 years