Unsuspecting public

Ghouliette wrote:
This just feels wrong. Like, I doubt you'd like to be involved unconsensually in someone's public fantasy that you had an aversion to. Gross.

Me and my mad fantasies wha ? I'll just quietly leave this site.
9 years

Currently reading...

[b]

Steppenwolf is excellent. One of my favorite writers growing up. Ever read Demian?

Nope just that and siddharta with The Prodigy sitting on my to-read pile
9 years

Currently reading...

johnnycheeseburger wrote:
Fatticus Inch wrote:
"How to Practice - The Way to a Meaningful Life" - His Holiness the Dalai Lama, translated and edited by Jeffrey Hopkins, Ph.D.

Is it any good ?

Thanks for the question. I am sorry if my answer does not hit the mark of your question, though I must say that your question as it pertains to this book is vague and therefor deceptively difficult to answer. I appreciate the thought behind it though, and so I will just mention a few things about this book in detail, while also adding that yes, this is a fantastic read for anyone for a multitude of reasons.

First, as with all books (or speeches or whatever) that are translations, nothing is direct and there is always something lost in translation or misinterpreted. Therefor, I take it with a grain of salt that the message in the writings that I am reading has been either watered down or altered to reflect the translator's perspective of what the original author wrote. Since translation is as much an art as it is a science, let us not forget that what we are reading is in fact written just as much, if not more so, by Dr. Hopkins as it was by the Dalai Lama.

That being said, I find the work to be clear and to the point of many other teachings I have read about, listened to, and found central to what this incarnation of the Dalai Lama has spoken. Find the goodness within the moment. Let not the technology of the day become a distraction to the search for true enlightenment. Project the love that is within yourself outward to not only everyone you meet but everything you come in contact with.

One thing that moved me completely is a passage in this book where His Holiness spoke of a meditation he hoes every morning, presumably to this very day. I am not looking to offend anyone so I will not go into detail, however he speaks about meditation regarding drawing in the negative energy of the leaders from the countries who have caused him to be exiled, and trying to negate it within himself that I find just absolutely extraordinary.

ok
9 years

Currently reading...

"How to Practice - The Way to a Meaningful Life" - His Holiness the Dalai Lama, translated and edited by Jeffrey Hopkins, Ph.D.

Is it any good ?
9 years

Currently reading...

Just finished Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse fooking brilliant ! the Steppenwolf tract bit was a huge mind*** I highly recommend it.

Next up I'm going to read Sand and Foam by Khalil Gibran my favourite poet whose work I've never read (I suggest yall give any section of The Prophet a listen on YT)
9 years

First fat girl crush?

Violet Beauregard lover here,Michaela and Sherly from S31 Then Jackii whose name on this I can't remember
9 years
12   loading