General

Religion ended my relationship

I've seen religion destroy many families and relationships. It's quite sad.
12 years

It is a sad thing, especially since religion should be about unifying...
12 years

FluffyMcMittens wrote:
I just think anyone who says religion is stupid is an idiot, just as much as people who say atheism is stupid are idiots too.

A "Free Thinking" organization really shouldnt be so critical of peoples free choice to believe in a god.

So i cant see religion ever being a problem with me but i suppose the close mindedness of others is going to make it an inevitable occurance

Exactly, I'm of the position of "We can all coexist". And it especially surprises me when some Atheists are offended by Christians and other religious groups having a backlash at them when the Atheists were overly critical in the first place.

yakusoku wrote:
The way i loook at it is. I personaly dont beleave in god. Thats ny choice and my choice alone. If someone beleaves in something. Who am i to tell them differently. Just like how i dont like folk preaching to me or telling me i am wrong in my beliefs. I wouldnt dare try and tell someone what they beleave in.

Sadly some folk do feel the need to convert folk. Or point out how wrong the other person is. And i can understand how important it is to folk. I just tell them i beleave in aliens and ghosts and see if they argue back about lol.

Everyone should beleave in what they want. But eveeeyonw should also respect others beliefs even if they dont agree

Now that sounds good on paper but here's the thing. Witnessing is a tenet of Christianity. One of the most quoted Bible verses is "Faith without works is dead", and this basically means that your faith is worth nothing unless you share it with others. Now I do think there's a right and a wrong way to go about it. For instance going up to someone and harping at them about how immoral they are and how they're going to hell is the wrong way. The right way isn't even sitting down and telling the other person "You should convert" it's just letting the other person know that you are a Christian and then witnessing through your actions.
12 years

Fatology wrote:
OniGumo wrote:
It is a sad thing, especially since religion should be about unifying...

The "us vs. them" mentality can take many forms. Sadly its existence in most cultures takes form in faith, because it's the only difference that can never be logically reconciled with thoughtful discourse. For example:

Discrimination based upon race? Modern research has proven that there is no reliable genetic connection between skin-tone and other traits. It's merely a scapegoat for cultural differences -- and in first-world cultures it's widely accepted that discrimination based upon race is immoral.

And yet faith, (defined as, beliefs based not upon logical reasoning nor intuition but emotionality and adherence to tradition/rituals) enjoys a cultural taboo in the first-world when it comes to being challenged. Doing so will likely paint one as caustic and downright mean, to the faith-holder and any peers -- regardless of how grounded in reality (evidence) one's case is.

That's my issue with how our culture treats faith: it's not open to thoughtful discussion, despite having a very real impact on the world we live in.

The "Us vs Them" mentality needs to be thrown out. At the core of all modern religion is unity, and in my opinion that alone makes any "religious" person who uses religion to engender divisiveness a false-believer.
12 years

Slug wrote:
I wouldn't care if my significant other believed a bearded man created the world. Because we honestly cannot know if that is true. As long as she doesn't try to drag me into a church or convert me I'm fine.

But, what I couldn't stand is if my partner was a new earth creationist, evolution denyer or believes in homeopathy to give three examples.

Why you might ask?

Because the universe isn't 6000 years old. It's 15 billion years old and there is lots of scientific proof.
Because evolution is a fact and there are endless amounts of proof verifying evolution.
Because the entire idea about homeopathic medicin is to dilute something so much that there is nothing left of the active ingredient.

Same goes for politics. I don't try to impose my way of thinking on anyone. I might tell someone of my world view, but I don't want to convert anyone. The same should go for my partner.

----------

And as for religion in the US, well, that's just ***ed up. I can understand why american atheists are more agressive than europeean.

No politician in the US can "come out" as an atheist and expect to be elected president. (In Sweden there's the complete opposite, to come out as a believer in a religion is political suicide, wich is just as bad as the opposite)
You have "In God We Trust" on your money.
The bible is the thing you swear on when taking oaths.

Coming from a highly secularized country as Sweden I find this highly disturbing.

I don't want to know what my politicians think about god.
I don't want any political or religious statement on my currency.
I don't want to swear on anything but the constitution and laws of my country, all else is unimportant.

All these things oppress atheists. In much the same way people with a different skin color, fat people, women, LBTG people and all other minorities are still oppressed due to prejudice.

Don't be ignorant. But above all...
PREACH LOVE! NOT HATE!

I must agree. In the US the constitution states a separation of Church and State, but that's just a farce.

I think that politics should keep out of religion and vice versa. Belief should have no bearing on a mans ability to run a country.
12 years

I'm going to make my way down the pager and respond as is felt needed.
Sweet sauce: you have my condolances on zealousy lynching another what sounded like perfectly functional relationship. I haven't ever had the issue, but having taken similar flack I sympathize with your position.
Fatology: how can there be a fair discussion when we live under a system of goverment that as a matter of ideological disposition discriminates against the faith upon which this country's laurels and moral basis were founded? Yes, all religions have a similar code of ethics with varience as to the mythos and reasons behind them, but without a basic equality of faiths before the eyes of "secular" authorities no discussion can be fairly moderated in the first place.
Choco029: a) you're end point was interesting as a show case of personal belief, smiley I'm AGNOSTIC, and my reason is thus; having been raised with the general understanding of Judeo-christian culture and ethics as a backdrop but the freedom mentally to explore other religions, I've decided like all other important things time and due diligence should be applied to such an important decision as where, whom, and how I choose to worship. I'm doing my research before that.
JimmyB: you realize that Atheism more or less constitutes a non-religious/ anti-religious religion due to how it's grown into a fairly ideological bit on its own?
Slug: A)evolution only works as a socio-mechanical and microdevelopmental concept; when applied to the actual developmental history of the earth-with timing of major species adaptations, events that shifted power from or lead to the survival of others, inteligent design has a pretty solid backing. smileyReligion and it's influences are interwoven into the fabric of our nation and the sterilization of it-not things like fear of god as much as the motivation behind moral behavior beyond "because" arguments, has only lead to a furthering societies greater delemas.
OniGumo: you're like the frickin' Guru of this so I'm only gonna correct you on one thing-which you may or may not be aware of already. The Seperation of Church and State was from a letter of the second president of the nation-Jefferson as I recall, assuring a local church that growing federal power wouldn't ballon into the english, state-run-religion, monopoly that they'd just fought off. It was meant to protect faith FROM the state, not enable the state to bash, beat, and bludgeon religion into any shape or form it saw fit by means of regulations and determinations of rights only the sacred governing bodies of the church itself has the right to weigh in on.
12 years

I don't mind religion until the point where they start substituting 'logic' with 'faith'. I also think that a union between two people of different ideas is not impossible just as long as both people see the differences as reconcilable.
12 years

d12123 wrote:
Kamina said:
Slug: A)evolution only works as a socio-mechanical and microdevelopmental concept; when applied to the actual developmental history of the earth-with timing of major species adaptations, events that shifted power from or lead to the survival of others, inteligent design has a pretty solid backing.

*coughs up my dinner* ummmm... When you say "pretty solid backing" I assume you mean that intelligent design is backed by Divine Grace? Because empirical research sure as heck doesn't back it up

Rather than working myself up, throwing links to research, I'll just paste this quote:

Harvey Birdman: [facing the jury]: A talking gorilla! A talking gorilla! Don't you people see, a talking gorilla. Links, no longer missing. Evolution, right here, take a picture.

Lollllll smiley

And are you really claiming that Atheism is a non-religious religion? Sorry, but by your logic, secularism would be a religion too... And both athiesm and secularism are based on the rejection of divinity and religion as driving forces behind human activity.

I'm sorry, but *rolls on my floor laughing* smiley

And seriously to the original poster, I hope you find someone who complements your social beliefs and values smiley

By reacting like this you discredit your own argument. I'm a biology major and nearing the end of my Bachelor level studies, and so I've taken an entire course dedicated to the study of evolution as an explanation for bio-diversity. I also happen to be Christian, I won't say I'm devout because that's not exactly true but I am a firm believer. But that doesn't mean I don't believe in evolution, in fact I think that evolution and Intelligent Design go hand in hand quite well. If you don't believe me then read the first chapter of Genesis and then compare it to the Theory of Evolution.

Also, as a non-denominational christian I tend to have a poor view on organized religion based on its history. Just a side bar.
12 years

Back to the original topic:

I don't think religion matters much if it's a casual relationship. But if you're talking marriage/having kids, OF COURSE you want to marry someone with the same religion, especially if you have one of those "everybody-besides-us-is-going-to-hell" religions. You want to raise your kids thinking that there is no other choice. If the parents have different religions, they'll think, at best, that choice of religion is arbitrary and at worst " Daddy is going to hell and we're all going to heaven." Which is a pretty awful thing to tell your children, in my book.

So I don't blame people for breaking up over this.

NOTE: Personally I'm an atheist or agnostic, depending on how you define the terms.
12 years

d12123 wrote:
OniGumo wrote:
[quote]d12123 wrote:
[quote] Onigumo said:
By reacting like this you discredit your own argument. I'm a biology major and nearing the end of my Bachelor level studies, and so I've taken an entire course dedicated to the study of evolution as an explanation for bio-diversity. I also happen to be Christian, I won't say I'm devout because that's not exactly true but I am a firm believer. But that doesn't mean I don't believe in evolution, in fact I think that evolution and Intelligent Design go hand in hand quite well. If you don't believe me then read the first chapter of Genesis and then compare it to the Theory of Evolution.

Also, as a non-denominational christian I tend to have a poor view on organized religion based on its history. Just a side bar.

To be fair, my over-the-top reaction was provided because Kamina went on a rampage, seeking to dismiss what were essentially personal ideas offered by other posters here smiley - and I don't take anyone who doesn't check the spelling of the very idea that they are advocating seriously...

But to respond to Onigumo, you will know simply by going to University and being exposed to methods of research that are evidence-based that evolutionary science is built based on the idea of proof - and it certainly tries to explain fundamental ideas about the development of life with more proof than "well in a book that some dude who talked to some guy who nobody else could see at the time, the world was created in 6 days" - naturally ideas are challenged - and my views certainly can be, but my study of evolution and my acceptance of it as an explanation for life as we know it comes from a combination of carbon dating, which confirms that the Earth itself is at least 60,000 years old - and through the results of studies into rock formations and fossil studies, which demonstrate that there was life that existed prior to Human development. These ideas can be challenged, but at least I've offered some kind of justification...

I hope it can be seen that:
* an idea is developed
* research is conducted
* if the results confirm the idea, then the published results need to stand up to peer review before gaining widespread support.

The reality is that conclusive "research" on intelligent design hasn't been completed to a scientific standard AND there isn't much other than faith and the Bible to back up Kamina's claim...

I hope that clarifies my position smiley

Just to clarify myself, I am not a Young Earth Creationist, I believe the earth is around 4.6 billion years old. So that also means I don't believe that everything was created in 6 days, at least not as humans perceive days. There are multiple passages in the bible that suggest time is completely irrelevant to the divine.

</thread derailment>
12 years
12   loading