General

Kinda upset but not.....

Whenever anyone says anything nasty it must hurt. Society hasn't caught up with us yet, so there are bound to be idiots who want to insult you, they'll be blaming fat people for the recession next.

The sheep who follow media pressure and those in denial can make such stupid comments, but the truth is that there are more and more people realising the beauty of fat and that it doesn't mean you are unhealthy. Holding yourself with confidence will help and hopefully make these comments decrease. In any case you are a beautiful girl and you should get plenty of positive feedback on here.
12 years

Kinda upset but not.....

The inner conflict between being happy and being accepted by society is something everyone feels.

Around here though it is a more obvious and difficult struggle as we share happiness in a part of life which society deems particularly unacceptable.

All we can do is take comfort in the fact that we are not alone, we are all in this together, there is nothing wrong with who we are and what we like, we are human, and we are beautiful.
12 years

Kinda upset but not.....

I agree with what all the other posters have said, but I want to add one thing:

For me, what made me stop feeling bad was working up the courage to respond--politely but strongly--to those comments. If you can figure out a sentence that works for you, so you don't have to think in the shock and hurt of the moment, you can stop people in their tracks. After a few times, they stop doing it any more.

Here are a few possibilities:

'Thanks, but I get my medical advice from my physician.'

'Thanks, but I'm quite aware of my size, and of the risks. Fortunately, they are less than the risks of the eating disorders I suffered from earlier.'

'I'll let you know if I'm looking for nutritional advice.'

And the least polite, which my father once told me I had permission to say to the school nurse: 'Better to be fat in the ass than fat in the head.' smiley
12 years