General

Childfree?

JustinNasty wrote:
Not trying to hijack the thread but I couldnt imagine a life without kids smiley

Its a natural thing to want, programmed into every living thing. It'd be so fun too

This is exactly what I think !
Its human instinct to want to reproduce and I cant wait to have a cute little baby
I also think most people that have said they never want kids will change their minds
12 years

Childfree?

JustinNasty wrote:
Not trying to hijack the thread but I couldnt imagine a life without kids smiley

Its a natural thing to want, programmed into every living thing. It'd be so fun too

Uh-oh. What, a bit like people who think it's natural to want to be slim? Programmed into us because we have to hunt and gather and run away from lions? Or maybe a bit like being heterosexual, because well, being gay ain't natural, is it?

Ahem.

I've never wanted kids and that's always been a constant for me. At one stage I tried to force myself to embrace the idea - mainly because of people like you saying it was normal to want kids and anyone who doesn't is a freak. I made myself thoroughly unhappy thinking I simply had to put myself and my partner through this. Luckily I realised that all that bull about it being what normal living things all want is nonsense.

Oh and as for it being "fun"? Maybe for the guy! Someone said the other day (I forget who) that they can't remember a single instance of a man saying they were worried about the effect fatherhood would have on their career.

Oh and have you heard of Kevin? Damien? The baby on Family Guy? Kids are evil, man.
12 years

Childfree?

the16th6toothson wrote:

and about this comment:
"Don't think I could be childfree... It's like making yourself extinct"

the human race is AWFUL, maybe it would be for the better smiley

Maybe we're just not egotistical enough to think the world can't survive without mini clones of ourselves populating it... there are far more worthy humans with way better genes than me out there who can populate the planet - and they're going to do a much better job of being a parent than I could.
12 years

Childfree?

Happily childfree. And mostly dated women with the same view. Works out well. They get fat anyway lol
12 years

Childfree?

Oh man, this subject has me torn awfully. I've given it some thought in the past and it will surpise no one that knows me when I say I can't decide one way or the other.

I've worked with Kids for a long time, looking after the under 6's at a Youth Charity and they are a fantastic joy most days, they keep you thinking, they put a smile on your face, you can't be dead to the world when you have an inquisitive little monster around.

But those are other peoples children and yes, I can leave them when I go home, knowing I have a whole week before having to deal with them again. Since I was 16 I've had a long line of parents complimenting me on my ability to communicate and inspire kids, which is a nice feeling. Yet the sense of dread that is conjured up when hearing something along the lines of "So when are you going to be a father?" is unmatched.

Simply considered, the world is becoming increasingly over populated, resources are going to be stretched as we head forward and there are PLENTY of unwanted children as it is, not saying that my actions would, but I don't want to add to the already sizeable problem.

Having said that, the right girl, the right time and the right words could persuade me otherwise. What a cop out.
For the time being at least, I better convince my sister to start working on those grandchildren for the increasingly broody Mother.

Ugh, tonnes more to say but CBA right now.
12 years

Childfree?

randomlancila wrote:
The whole argument of most people who say they don't want kids will change their mind' is completely incorrect. And I think it's unfair for anyone to assume that what someone else wants to do with their body and their life is invalid or that they'll 'change their mind' in the future.

I don't forsee myself having children. I think most childfree marriages (intentionally childfree, I mean, not ones in which there is a struggle to conceive) tend to be stronger and last longer. I don't think many people realize just how much having children impedes your life and affects your ability to do the things you want to do.

I want to travel. I want to learn. I want to explore, I want to educate. I don't want children slowing me down.
Me toosmiley
12 years

Childfree?

randomlancila wrote:
The whole argument of most people who say they don't want kids will change their mind' is completely incorrect. And I think it's unfair for anyone to assume that what someone else wants to do with their body and their life is invalid or that they'll 'change their mind' in the future.

I know heaps of people that have said they NEVER want kids
and guess what
now they have kids

Actually the majority of people that I can recall saying this now have kids or plan to in the future, so as you can see this leads me to believe that contrary to what you think, people do change their minds

not all, some im sure will never have children
but most will
12 years

Childfree?

Not big on children, don't have any. The only plus is the pregnant look on a lady, with a massive swollen belly. Don't get me wrong, if I did happen to conceieve, I would man up and help support the kid. After all, it takes two to tango and it was not the child's fault that he or she was born.
12 years

Childfree?

randomlancila wrote:

It's all well and good to say that, but you cannot judge the majority of intentionally childfree people based soley on YOUR personal experiences. Just because in your life you see a lot of people act one way or do one thing, it doesn't mean that speaks for the whole of society. It's very important to remember that when speaking about any subject.

Example: I don't know ANYONE who has, or ever did have cancer. But that doesn't mean cancer isn't a huge problem or that it affects a huge part of the population. I just know I personally don't know anyone who has it.

It's also important to note that just because a childfree person ends up having a child doesn't mean much of anything. There are lots of people who bit the bullet even though truthfully they didn't really want children. People sacrifice for their significant other, or they do it because society makes them think they have to in order to fit in, moral or religious affiliation prevent them from being able to terminate a pregnancy--there are myriad situations in which someone who wanted to be childfree doesn't end up actually being childfree.

My personal experiences dont prove that all people that never want kids will go on to have kids, it only proves that SOME do, just like if you did know someone with cancer it would prove that SOME people in the world have cancer.

I know sometimes they may not want children and end up having them anyway because a partner desperately wants them or something like you said, but thats a change of mind too, or rather a change of heart
they're choosing to sacrifice what they wanted for their lover, usually people talk about future children in a relationship and if they knew their partner wanted children they should have considered that
OR
maybe their partner didnt want children and now does
which would be
a change of mind

the16th6toothson wrote:
i am all for adoption.
this planet is WAY over populated. so the best option for those who do not mind the concept of raising a child is DEFINITELY to adopt.
i respect those who adopt IMMENSELY.
..they usually make the best parents actually! (from what i've seen/known)

This would be great, I would love to adopt !! but they actually make adoption very difficult, some countries wont allow you to adopt unless your under a certain age, married, .. all kinds of things
which seems fair, because they want good parents for the children of course
but It also means people like my mum get rejected, shes a nurse with a stable home and family and everything but because shes never been married it makes it hard.
and the process also takes years.
12 years

Childfree?

dont they do that in China or something ?

also what if you have twins ??
12 years
12   loading