General

Happiness

I know I only show up from time to time, not very regular around these parts but, when I do...I like to throw in my 2 cents and try to get people pondering.... So, here I go again...

I've been unhappy the past few months with my marriage, with my job, with most of my friends around here in Philly. I moved 4 hours from home, friends, my mom... smiley Anyways...

It all came to a point the other day and I told her I'm just not happy. I want out and I want to be happy. It's been turmoil for the past two days and last night she made a comment that kept me tossing and turning all night. I asked a few of my best friends and thought I'd pose it here too...

"It seems you are seeking a fictitious happiness that won't ever exist. Happiness comes in moments. You can't have it all the time"

What do you all think? I think it's a lie.... I think you can live happy 24/7 and when you realize you aren't...it's time to make a change!
12 years

Happiness

Happiness, now there's an interesting obsession. Yes, I agree with your point of chasing a fictitious notion of happiness. You certainly can gain enjoyment from many sources, often the most mundane or just the company of a friend. Joy to me is mainly momentary though and the worst drug of them all, I want to feel joy all the time and that's impossible.

What I am seeking is fulfilment of a sort, the type of lasting joy that sticks with you through thick and thin and generally just makes me think, "You know what? I think I am content with my lot". It may not be great all of the time, but there will be sufficient positives in my life so as the misery will not take the gloss of my life right now.

/End garbled rant.
12 years

Happiness

i think that if you endure some sadness or hardhip it makes the happiness better when you experience it. although you do have to be smart and realise when something is a deadend. life comes with its ups and downs in my opinion, so you cant be happy 24/7. but you can be contented by thinking that the bad moments will pass and focus on the happy times.
12 years

Happiness

DrNickVonTasselhoff wrote:
This makes me think of one of my favourate quotations.. “Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau.

That's beautiful. I'd not heard that before. I should memorise it! smiley
12 years

Happiness

Jambolio wrote:
Happiness, now there's an interesting obsession.

What I am seeking is fulfilment of a sort, the type of lasting joy that sticks with you through thick and thin and generally just makes me think, "You know what? I think I am content with my lot".

/End garbled rant.

Well expressed. I think contentment is a highly underrated state.
12 years

Happiness

The grass is always greener on the other side.
12 years