Fat experiences

Strangers suggesting wls

Don't know if anyone else had this kind of experience, but here's what happened to me recently

I was sitting out in public just hanging out minding my own business, and this guy comes up to me saying 'hey I'm not selling anything but want to talk to you for a sec.'

Preparing myself to nod and smile as he peddles whatever religion at me, he starts on preaching about how his gastric bypass has changed his life and he hopes his story would help me just think about it.

He kept apologizing if he was offending me, but I was more offended that he said he had been even bigger than me. 'I mean, that's almost 500 lbs!' shortchanging me on my weight.

I kept debating through the conversation if I should just tell him that there's no way in hell I'd get the surgery, and that my having a fat body wasn't invitation for him to comment on it. But figured it'd be smoother just to let him say his piece and go.
9 years

Strangers suggesting wls

Dr. Paul Ernsberger, a noted obesity researcher has estimated that more people died from WLS, than from the Viet Nam conflict. So, I think I would ask that stranger why he wants you dead.
9 years

Strangers suggesting wls

Comeback:

"Too bad there's no mind-your-own-business surgery."
9 years

Strangers suggesting wls

LadyEjkua wrote:
I think the guy meant well. It would be the same if one of us would approach a fat girl or guy who's just going in a weight loss clinic or a gym and tell her or him that (s)he's looking sexy and shouldn't try to loose weight but celebrate it instead with ice cream.

Personally I find that just as bad.
9 years

Strangers suggesting wls

Spherophile wrote:
Yeahhh, that's what's known as concern trolling.

Never heard of that...great term!
9 years

Strangers suggesting wls

Elanor wrote:
AskDrFeeder wrote:
Spherophile wrote:
Yeahhh, that's what's known as concern trolling.

Never heard of that...great term!

Check out the fat positivity/HAES blogs on Tumblr. They are overflowing with concern trolls.

Oh yeah, I'm quite aware of the thing...just didn't know there was a term for it.
9 years