General

Geeks?

One word: Tokusatsu!

If you know what it means, who know why I geek out over it.

If you don't, well, that's what Google is for, isn't it? smiley
9 years

Geeks?

I did the Marvel movie marathon last week and got to see Age of Ultron. It was awesome!!!!!!
9 years

Geeks?

Older geek here...I get to share some of with my teenager now, which is kind of cool.

I do tabletop RPGs, sf and fantasy books, Magic (the card game) and WoW. I enjoy a lot of geeky TV, but I'm not hard core about any of it.

In younger days I was into marvel comics, and went to some sf and gaming conventions. My best convention had as author guests Roger Zelazney, Patricia Mckillip, Steven Brust, and L Sprague de Camp. Wife isn't into fandom though, so I forego the time and expense of conventions these days.
9 years

Geeks?

breakingfree:
It's upsetting when your s.o. isn't that much into it whilst you are... I can vouch for that...

I hope to be able to bond with my children over this kinda stuff when I have kids.

...my magic skills are non existant... gotta get into that more... unfortunately d&d and table top and a mystery to me.. I have comprehension problems... just like with magic lol

A lot of table top RPGs are way complicated, but there simple ones too. Please, google "Night-time animals save the world". It is a short (few page) download, that is an RPG aimed at being played between parents and kids, ideally while taking a walk. It is simple, charming, and needs all of three coins per player in order to play the game. And it has all the essential role play elements in place. (It is what I used to introduce my son to RPGs, when he was about second grade)

It will give you a different perspective on RPGs, and maybe help you see that you don't have a comprehension problem, other people may have a clarity problem!

Although having said all that, not everyone, not even all geeks, will enjoy RPGs -- but at least you'll have a better ability to tell if you might like them or not :-)
9 years

Geeks?

breakingfree:
I know it's stupid but I'm really trying to get into magic... I just have issues comprehending it lol[/quote]

I've read that the magic: duel of the planeswalkers computer games can be a decent way to get familiar with Magic, and they are only about ten bucks, so you could give that a try?

Else, if you have someone to play with, try to find a "duel decks"/pack. They come with two decks that are designed to play well against each other, and have a lot of instructions, too. It is what I used when teaching my son
Good luck!
9 years

Geeks?

Anime Otaku here too, hence the name. So excited to go to the Anime North convention next weekend up here in Toronto.
8 years