Lifestyle tips

Gf wants to gain but diabetes runs in the family

I rarely post and I don't see why I am here...maybe I'm feeling in a downer mood?

Unmanaged diabetes type 2 will slowly kill you, or cause serious health problems. Type 1 is another ball game. You'd be dead already if not having dealt with that.

With obesity, type 2 is going to be a real issue at some point. You don't usually see any 400+'s making it into old age - at that weight.

This is kind of what makes this whole fat attraction thing more of a youthful beauty deal. The younger you are, the less likely it is to complicate you. Also naturally as you age - and I mean late middle to early old - people tend to lose weight as there is no reproductive need for it.

Thing to remember is diabetes is an artificially agitated disease. It's always been around. And if you read historical accounts of it it is horrifying. But that's well before any knowledge or treatment.

The thing with weight is that the human body was never really meant to weigh over roughly 85-100kg (fairly tall male/female) let alone eat a ton of processed fat and sugar. That's just how it is. Plus being able to live day by day with literally having to do next to nothing physically taxing.

It's all a ball game though. Anyone can get it. It runs in both sides of my family. Both mother's parents died from it (in their 80's, not obese though). My cousin on the other side got it when she was 13; not the slightest bit obese either. I'm supposedly at risk and I'm not the slightest bit obese and quite fit. Could still happen.

I mean if you she's got people getting it left right and centre you might want to take deep concern. Otherwise, its pretty well common to all human families at some point.
8 years

Gf wants to gain but diabetes runs in the family

Actually I'll chime in just again. This time out of passion just because Banting discovered insulin an hour down the road from me and if you read the stories of it, it sounds like a miracle story; this pertains especially to type 1 though.

Again everyone is diffent but it's an age thing too. The younger the less risky.

You say she's 200 and wants to go to 250? That's not really all that extreme in this day and age. I've had a couple COs that easily went well over 200 at an average female height; 220 or more (they never want to say for sure except those vague statements). But never any health problems even when they 'ran' in the family.

Even if she's short, 250 isn't. High danger territory. She'll look plenty fat but not huge. Like the others said, keep to a healthier diet and avoid just going on classic 'junk' and also do get some physical activity in there. One SO I had was totally pushing over 220 but she would still do some cardio and light weights and was perfectly healthy. (Plus it was hot to get see when I did smiley ) haha
8 years