General

How do you become comfortable with yourself.

Hi all, I was just wondering how you all become so confident with yourselves? I had an awful childhood was belittled, abused ect... and I always had comments all the time that I am fat and ugly and in consequence I have had bulimia since the age of 8 (I'm 38) and I can't even look in the mirror and I hate everything about me. I am in no way skinny my clothes size is a UK 18/20 but being so petite (I'm 4' 6"smiley I find it very hard to find nice fitting clothes, it seems you can be tall and big or short and skinny but not short and big/plump it doesn't help that I have a large chest either.

How do you all embrace and learn to love yourself because just struggle every day but would love to be more confident with myself. 😊😊😊😊😊
7 years

Thanks for both of your replies, I doubt I'll ever accept myself, my self worth was ground out of me a long long time ago and I find every day a struggle, I feel for much husband because he has to deal with the fall out of the years of torment and I will never fully trust he really wants me even though he tells me multiple times a day. 😀 at the Jeremy Kyle comment.
7 years

Counselling helps some people. In particular I think cognitive behavioural therapy helps many people silence those voices in theory head that got implanted while growing up. I don't know if that is an option for you, but it could be good for you (and those around you may benefit too if you gain more comfort in yourself)

In brief: you were trained to demean yourself. You can be untrained --and the people who did that to you don't deserve to still be living rent free in your head. It isn't easy or just a matter of willpower, but it probably is possible.
7 years