General

Life in general

Human extinction would be great for the other species on this planet - there can be little argument against that notion.

I think the crux of this argument is - are humans fundamentally bad?

My answer is no.

But to be difficult I will also say that most humans behave in a less than ideal manner.

My theory behind this is that it is competition - due to capitalism mostly - that sets us out against one another. Makes it us or them. And can make us quite cruel.

Everyone is a financial rival, a rival in love, or a rival in fight.

When we see each other as competition rather as allies then we become nasty - and we lose sympathy for those who are not on our side.

This is how people can be cruel to, say, homeless people. They see them as a threat because they know the homeless want their money and they also dislike what they symbolise - financial destitution (something we all fear greatly - because there aren't many safety nets in society)

The solution is of course to change the way we behave and begin to see society as a collective rather than a group of selfish individuals all vying to topple one another.
7 years

Life in general

^Great comment, flyinghorse.
7 years

Life in general

As a species we are still in our childhood. capitalism is the obvious extension of the a greedy child yelling "gimme, gimme, gimme" and "no I don't want to share." We cling to God like a small child clings to santa clause. Until we as a species grow beyond our need for religion and the accumulation of wealth at the expense of others, we will remain as we are. Oversimplified I grant you, but I didn't want to write an essay.
7 years

Life in general

elderman:
As a species we are still in our childhood. capitalism is the obvious extension of the a greedy child yelling "gimme, gimme, gimme" and "no I don't want to share." We cling to God like a small child clings to santa clause. Until we as a species grow beyond our need for religion and the accumulation of wealth at the expense of others, we will remain as we are. Oversimplified I grant you, but I didn't want to write an essay.

Its good to hear these ideas echoed.

I was half expected the ham fisted Adam Smith brigade to jump in.
7 years