General

Fat firemen

Get another job. You would not be doing yourself or the community any favors by being unable to do your job safely. (assuming you want to gain a significant amount of weight)
6 years

Fat firemen

johnxyz:
Get another job. You would not be doing yourself or the community any favors by being unable to do your job safely. (assuming you want to gain a significant amount of weight)

Original post is gone, but let me assure there are plenty of fat firefighters. I passed the CPAT test ( urban firefighting physical ability test) and most years get my red card with an arduous WCT ( 3 mile hike in 45 min wearing a 45 lb pack or vest) at 6-3 and 270 though the stair master about killed me. ( I'm a Vol FF, the CPAT isn't required)

However as you get older if you don't pay attention to your health, you are putting your self at huge risk. As a career, it's a fairly sedentary job until you put on turnouts and and a SCBA, add a 50 lb hose pack and start climbing stairs.
6 years

Fat firemen

johnxyz:

alabamakmg:
Original post is gone, but let me assure there are plenty of fat firefighters. I passed the CPAT test ( urban firefighting physical ability test) and most years get my red card with an arduous WCT ( 3 mile hike in 45 min wearing a 45 lb pack or vest) at 6-3 and 270 though the stair master about killed me. ( I'm a Vol FF, the CPAT isn't required)

However as you get older if you don't pay attention to your health, you are putting your self at huge risk. As a career, it's a fairly sedentary job until you put on turnouts and and a SCBA, add a 50 lb hose pack and start climbing stairs.

I totally believe that anyone of any size should be able to hold any job they are qualified for. I am assuming that most fat firefighters are naturally fat, and are not trying to gain.

But if someone is trying to gain, especially if they are trying to get as fat as they can as quickly as they can, being a fire fighter may not be the best career choice. As long as they can do their job and not put anyone at risk, that is fine.
6 years