forum  weightgain

gaining help: diabetic5 months

I've been trying to figure this one out for a while, to no real avail. My calories and macronutrients all add up to gain, and my weight has been bouncing around 248 - 250. This is only 3 pounds heavier than when I started in February.

I am diabetic, so I've been avoiding doing too much sugar. Some is hard to avoid, but I'm still keeping a cap on to avoid There are other ways to get those carbs for the macros, but I wonder if that's what's keeping me from gaining.

The odd thing is, I've not lost any size, measurements are still holding at about 50 inches around the belly. I can feel the change in weight around my body, the pounds just aren't adding up on the scale.

Please, if there are other diabetic gainers here or someone else knowledgeable, I would love some help.

You're in luck, as you've found a diabetic with an answer. As you know, diabetes, whether type 1 or 2, is the shortage/absence of insulin in the body. The difference between the two is very detailed, but the core of the immune system malfunction are the same. As it turns out, insulin is /the/ hormone that induces fat storage in cells by allowing glucose in the blood to enter and exit cells. Without it, you're pretty much stuck, and may even lose weight do to many factors, the big one being ketoacidosis, where your body burns of body fat in an attempt to lower blood glucose. The thing is, if you want to gain weight, increse insulin usage, but seriously talk to your endocrinologist before doing so. Lay out what you want to happen, then go from there.

This is what I was afraid of, thanks for the help