Lifestyle tips

Explaining my gain to family

My family has always been very health oriented. It's what has kept me skinny my entire life. I've started gaining weight in college and plan on continuing for sure. I weigh 118 lbs now and plan on gaining at least 50 pounds by the end of the semester if I continue my current trend. And then I plan on gaining even more after that, up to around 700 lbs eventually. Any tips on how to explain this to my family? Should I even bother explaining at all?
6 years

I have never tried explaining my gain, despite transforming from very fit to obese, lazy and over 250 lbs haha. Personally, I would not be able to handle that conversation with my parents and it is one of the things that has always made me apprehensive about gaining. I believe you will find that others here have had those conversations with their parents to different ends...
6 years

You don't explain it to them. If they ask, you tell them that you don't mind, and you are happy. No need to discuss sexual kinks to your family, and no need to justify your decisions.
6 years

Better to just be honest. Tell them you get off sexually by stuffing ridiculous amounts of food and gaining weight. Tell them you've always felt like a fat person trapped in a skinny person's body. Tell them if they love you they will accept the new you!
6 years

fivehundred:
my suggestion: lie. your family doesn't need to know what you get off to.

I agree. As I gained and family asked about my weight, I just told them I liked to eat. When they'd tell me about how I should lose weight I would just let them know I was happy the way I was.

It's not going to win them over to the idea, but they're never going to understand the lifestyle if they don't have that kink - so don't even try to get them to!
6 years

johnxyz:
You don't explain it to them. If they ask, you tell them that you don't mind, and you are happy. No need to discuss sexual kinks to your family, and no need to justify your decisions.

Bingo. Say nothing if it's possible, and say the minimum otherwise.
6 years

Yes, this is tricky. My husband started gaining 6yrs ago and put the bulk of 50lbs from 135 to 185lbs last 2yrs partly by age and partly encouragement by me. Unfortunately his dad and step-mom have made comments or touch belly and ask Me, what are you feeding him!? Step-mom is got a good amount weight to her as well as a belly, bigger than husband maybe until recently. Unfortunately, the comments have gotten my husband down and feeling bad. He has expressed to them he is pleasing me and it's been fun getting to his current weight wink wink. Unfortunately, his dad is getting old and forgotful and he always has to comment and step-mom she just likes to continue to point out anything she considers negative. My husband has made shots back at her weight. I sure wish I knew how to get them to mind their business! Suggestions please!
5 years

johnxyz:

Rosechord:
Bingo. Say nothing if it's possible, and say the minimum otherwise.

fivehundred:
agreed. just claim that food is delicious and that you're happy. do not traumatize your family with TMI

Agreed! Sometimes less is more!
5 years

You have no obligation to explain anything to them, anytime I see my family and I'm bigger than the last time I kinda shrug it off or say I'm busy so grab takeout or fast food a lot, sometimes just say I'm enjoying my food a bit too much etc! Most of my family are fat anyway so I guess they find it amusing to see their once skinny son coming back with a fat belly once a year.

My friends from home on there other hand all rip on each other, and weight gain part of that, we've known each other since we we're teens and now half of us are getting bigger, me on purpose (they don't know the complete truth I just say I like food and don't mind gaining weight because of it) and a recovering anorexic who now has a muffin top and chows down on whole pizzas, neither of us are immune!
5 years