Lifestyle tips

Gaining tips

Content Warning: Mentions of body dysphoria and anorexia

Hi everyone, I've never made one of these forum posts, so I hope that this gets out okay. Growing up, I unfortunately became extremely anorexic and I'm STILL trying to over come it. I'm sadly only 130 pounds. I've tried so much when it comes to gaining weight. I look in the mirror and I FEEL like a skeleton, I look so gross. I've been trying to gain for years but nothing seems to work. Plus, it doesn't help that with my current job I'm constantly on my feet all day.
I decided to turn to one of my favorite websites to ask for advice. I want to be big, maybe not obese yet, but at least more than 170 at the moment. Obviously my goal will change once I start gaining, of course.
Feel free to reply to this or send me a private DM.
3 years

Gaining tips

Pasta and ice cream can usually get it all started. But if you’re fighting heredity, it could be an uphill climb. I’ve plateau’d at about 190-195 for several years now after being a fairly skinny kid growing up. I take after the men on my mom’s side; they’re all medium-frame guys. My wife has been north of 300 pounds for several years for a multitude of reasons (not very many of them are food-related) but at the heart of it is heredity. The women on her dad’s side were all fat ladies anyway.
3 years

Gaining tips

I don't know if it would work with you, with your struggles with anorexia, but fat habits are key to how most people get and stay fat.

That is, it is really hard to remember to eat extra all of the time, especially when your body isn't expecting it. But if you make habits that cause you to eat more then it happens more automatically without thinking about it as much.

For example, planning a mid-morning snack. A muffin, a bagel, a banana, nothing too crazy, but have it about the same time every morning and make sure to still have lunch at the usual time, and after not too long your body should expect that snack and then to have lunch. You can do the same thing for other snack times.

Another is adding some extra calories in what you are already eating, the taste may not be what you like at first but again you will get used to having it that way. Have coffee or tea with sugar and cream. Have toast with lots of butter and heaps of jam. In recipes substitute milk for cream, or add some extra oil.

A third is getting a few more calories into each meal. Add a bit of fruit to your breakfast, add a drink of milk or juice (or even soda) to your lunch. When you are cleaning up after dinner always have a bit of the leftovers, or get a piece of bread and mop out the pan, or have some dessert at the end of the meal -- basically just train your body to finish what you put on your plate, and then to expect a little bit more.

Any of those habits will add some calories to your day, and the great thing about habits is that once you have established one it is easy to maintain so you can put your focus on building up another habit.

Good luck with getting to where you want to be!
3 years

Gaining tips

Some great tips there. I rather lost my mojo for gaining for about a year and stayed away from here. But I'm getting the desire to gain back so I need all the tips and encouragement I can get! My desire is to get a really flabby belly, hopefully one that sags down.
3 years