General

Video game worlds you'd love to live in

Skyrim and close 2nd just cause 4
1 year

The pokemon world would be so cool to live in. Maybe a 2nd would be Ivalice from Final Fantasy 12.
1 year

Of course, this is only limited to universes for games I have actually played at one point or another. In all of them, I'm assuming I would be a shopkeeper, a scribe, or some other sort of analyst, administrative, or back office support role.

Probably either Tamriel in Elder Scrolls (this would include the provinces of either Skyrim or Cyrodiil), after whatever major conflict is resolved. The lack of technology is a concern, but of course there's magic to resolve medical and technological barriers. It also seems that almost everyone seems to be very well read. In spite of the various conflicts, there always seems to be a lot of food and mead, beer, and wine to be had. You also don't have to be the King to potentially live like one. Even a single mother has no apparent problem buying and owning a house in one of the richest cities in Skyrim, and making enough money.

Another possibility might be Hyrule, after Ganon is defeated.

Another possibility might be the Mushroom Kingdom after Bowser is defeated, where it's widely depicted in Paper Mario. Although, it's unclear what kind of medical technology there is. They do however, have technology in general, including mobile phones and wireless Internet access.

Now a twist, for what I would NOT want to live in. Unsurprisingly, this list is far longer.

Fallout - Doesn't matter if it's the Capital Wasteland, Point Lookout, New Vegas, or even the NCR. The world is cold and brutal, where even day to day survival is questionable. Even if you live in one of more established cities, it's a constant state of war and chaos outside the walls and of course, constant supply chain issues.

Grand Theft Auto / Saints Row series - Of course, the cities are a caricature of America, and the crime is nowhere near that bad. However, there's a frightening amount of truth in these caricatures. I know, because I live in America.

Doom - Not much information is given regarding the day to day civilian life in this world, but nevertheless, a huge demonic invasion is a frightening prospect.

Bioshock - Regardless of whether it's Columbia or Rapture, even if I were one of the elites, in both cases the very high Gini index (wealth inequality) and a substantial underclass will threaten the stability of the city. Even if I don't consider the fact that both cities engage in morally objectionable practices, even someone without morals would or should be put off by how in both cases, they're ticking time bombs.

Half-Life - This should be obvious. The invader keeps you isolated, in constant poverty, and near constant starvation. The resistance is somewhat better, but there's always constant supply issues and winning the fight against the invader is a very long shot, at best. And there's a time limit. If the resistance doesn't succeed in 20 years, maybe 30 at the absolute most, it won't succeed, as the invader is SO technologically advanced, they developed a radio transmitter that somehow prevents pregnancy.

Portal - The risk of death is high, it's cold and lonely, and of course the cake is a lie.
1 year

Pokémon would be a fairly easy choice, runner ups would probably be Stardew valley or rune factory. Heavily dependant on what empire type your playing and what your immediate neighbours are but I’d tentatively say stellaris could be good.

On the other hand I definitely wouldn’t want to live in darkest dungeons world or rimworld on the crash landed start.
1 year

Stardew Valley
1 year

Ooh, the Pokémon world and stardew valley would be top tier choices for me.

Otherwise I’d absolutely live in an animal crossing town - nothing but peaceful vibes and the neighbours would actually be quite nice 😊

A minecraft/terarria world could also be a good choice, wether or not you want to deal with hordes of the undead or LITERAL EYES of Cthulhu is up to you 😂
1 year

Bioshock! I like that vibe ^^
1 year

I forgot to mention one.

If you dropped a nuke on where I lived about 50 years from now...200 years later you'd have Fallout 4.

I've been to 90% of the places in that game in real life....or the real life versions anyway 🤣
1 year

For me it would be Warcraft/.
1 year

Pokémon is the easy answer, so to shake things up I’ll say Rune Factory. It’s an exiting fantasy world with loads of quirky characters, many of which you can fall in love with.
(I’ve also heard one game in the series has an overweight love interest, which I adore).
1 year
1234   loading