Lifestyle tips

What to tell friends and family when they comment on your weight/gain?

I was wondering what advice anyone has for how to handle comments from friends and family about your weight gain when you are intentionally gaining? I figure I don't want to tell my friends or siblings and parents I'm intentionally becoming a fatty as they likely wouldn't understand or would get argumentative about it (plus, they'd probably be concerned about any potential negative health effects of me getting big). However, I definitely want a reasonable response for when I inevitably receive comments on my increasing size. What kind of response would be good for acknowledging that I have gained weight, but not reveal just how intentional it is and put their mind at ease about health concerns?
1 year

Imo people tend to psych themselves out when it comes to this particular issue and in my experience it hasn’t been an issue. For the most part people that care about you aren’t out to hurt your feelings and critiquing someone for gaining weight generally comes off as rude; if it becomes an issue YOU need to lay boundaries for what is and isn’t acceptable and hold them accountable — it isn’t there business what you do with your body is your choice, it’s up to you how much you which to express.
1 year

One thing to note is that obviously different people, different circumstances, etc.

For example, when I started doing this I actually used my parents own concerns about their own weight against them because they were becoming stressed over it.

However, in my case I've been doing two things:
1) Telling people I no long care and I'm just enjoying life
2) Joking about my weight e.g. 'meh give me 5 years and I'll be this big (with hand gestures doubling my width).

That said, I haven't had any significant gain (yet), so time will tell whether this will continue to work.
1 year

i always say "i like to eat"
1 year

J8o8h8n:
I was wondering what advice anyone has for how to handle comments from friends and family about your weight gain when you are intentionally gaining? I figure I don't want to tell my friends or siblings and parents I'm intentionally becoming a fatty as they likely wouldn't understand or would get argumentative about it (plus, they'd probably be concerned about any potential negative health effects of me getting big). However, I definitely want a reasonable response for when I inevitably receive comments on my increasing size. What kind of response would be good for acknowledging that I have gained weight, but not reveal just how intentional it is and put their mind at ease about health concerns?

As I see it, so long as your health isn't suffering, no one has a right to say anything.

So, if you are getting fatter, but you're taking care of yourself, then they don't have a leg to stand on if they tell you to lose weight.
1 year

My wife gets this a lot. She's literally the most massive person in our entire extended family, and her mom and aunties are always concerned about her constantly growing weight.

She forgives them because they're kind people, care about her, and she's aware most women aren't the size of several women put together. She knows they're trying to be helpful, and they just assume a woman her size is unhappy with it.

So she laughs and waves them off-
"I'm getting so fat, right?"
"I'm going on a diet, I swear!"
"My husband is trying to get me in shape!"

Afterwards-
"I'm soooo hungry, can we stop and get some snacks?"
1 year

Just be honest and tell them stop if they always comment about your weight.
Generally good friends won't say anything to purposely hurt you but may mention you have gained a few pounds.
I don't understand why people these days won't stand up for themselves.
You don't tell other people how to live or they have to be slim do you?
Of course you don't.
Sure I had people tell me I was getting fat I just didn't acknowledge their comments.
1 year

Ditzy:
Just be honest and tell them stop if they always comment about your weight.
Generally good friends won't say anything to purposely hurt you but may mention you have gained a few pounds.
I don't understand why people these days won't stand up for themselves.
You don't tell other people how to live or they have to be slim do you?
Of course you don't.
Sure I had people tell me I was getting fat I just didn't acknowledge their comments.

From what I can tell, it's always been like this. You got some people who have no problem stand up for themselves. You got some who struggle. That being said, most people online struggle with direct confrontation. So that's why is seems that people these days don't stand up for themselves.
1 year

Thats true and don't get me wrong I struggled with confrontation and peer pressure growing up and was constantly bullied about being really skinny.
I have compassion for people that have confrontation issues but they need to understand its up to them to do something about it and not hide their feelings if people treat them harshly.
My Dad sat me down and explained that if I wanted things to change it was up to me to do it.
I learned to not pay attention to people saying mean things to me about how skinny I was.
Being a girl with basically a figure of a teen boy was the worst thing to have to deal with.
1 year

Ditzy:
Thats true and don't get me wrong I struggled with confrontation and peer pressure growing up and was constantly bullied about being really skinny.
I have compassion for people that have confrontation issues but they need to understand its up to them to do something about it and not hide their feelings if people treat them harshly.
My Dad sat me down and explained that if I wanted things to change it was up to me to do it.
I learned to not pay attention to people saying mean things to me about how skinny I was.
Being a girl with basically a figure of a teen boy was the worst thing to have to deal with.

You're absolutely correct.
1 year
123   loading