General

Why are so many discussions getting locked?

Munchies:
I think you have a misunderstanding about how bigotry works. A lot of times, people will say bigoted things without realizing what they are saying is bad. Sometimes, they'll say something they think is a compliment or a joke but is actually deeply harmful.

Sometimes, if you are lucky, you can explain why what they said was harmful, and they will apologize and learn from it. But most of the time, they'll minimize or dismiss what you're saying. And if you push the issue, it's common for them to go mask off and say something really bigoted.

Now, I have seen well-meaning people accuse someone of bigotry when they weren't being bigoted. However, that is rare. In the two years I've been on this site, I can count the number of "false positives" on one hand. And, once again, not understanding why something is bigoted isn't a "false positive."

Malvineous:
I see where you're coming from, but one thing I've noticed is that most people seem to be completely incapable of handling criticism on any level, even if it's constructive. Not just about bigotry, but pretty much anything. It's totally possible that someone starts off well-intentioned, is told that they said something offensive, and then their kneejerk reaction is to defend their honor tooth and nail against a false accusation in their eyes. I guess I see people's defensiveness as being more of a personality problem than an opinion problem if that makes sense, and I do feel more inclined to grant some leeway to someone who just put their foot in their mouth without thinking though what they said. Of course it really depends on a case by case basis and how inflammatory they become. There's also ways to bring it to their attention that are more likely to make them listen to you, like saying "Just so you're aware, there are a lot of people who are hurt when people say X because of Y reason", instead of trying to dunk on them or be sarcastic or condescending. If they still want to argue after being that nice about it, then you really do know where they stand.

It's nice to be nice, but it doesn't matter. If you're harming a community, you're not obligated to be treated nicely - especially by a member of the community.

I remember one time, not on here, but I said something incorrect about the lesbian experience. I thought I was being a good ally, but I wasn't. Two lesbians dunked on me, and I deserved it. So I apologized.

I bowed out of the conversation and made sure to educate myself.

I'm not trying to change hearts and minds. I tried that once upon a time until I realized how few people are willing to reevaluate their worldview by some rando on the internet. Instead, I correct misinformation and provide different viewpoint. That way those watching the exchange have access to the truth and those that disagree with the person posting bigotted information feel safe enough to say something.
3 months

X_Larsson:
To sum it up, the many interventions by moderators are that some people are "offended" by something, even if it is not personal attacks or denigrating statements?
Alternatively, shut down preventively by moderators before anyone complains?

So discussions are not really discussions, more of somewhat uniform flow of inputs, morally approved, in the "virtues" currently "in fashion" of more conformistic parts of the society? And avoiding to potentially "hurt someone" is consistently more important than discussing the topics? (There are clearly some people that should be more protected than others.)

It is good if the contents of these applied (but not always stated) rules are clear, which they obviously are not, by looking at the numbers of stopped discussions (as I referred to in my initial question).

Again, this is posted as I see that many discussions (that I not posted in) develop in very odd directions.

It’s not that deep bro. This is a place of acceptance for fat bodies not a place to spread nonsense about politics unless it’s about fat issues read the room. This whole anti-woke stuff is hella cringe
2 months

X_Larsson:
To sum it up, the many interventions by moderators are that some people are "offended" by something, even if it is not personal attacks or denigrating statements?

So discussions are not really discussions, more of somewhat uniform flow of inputs, morally approved, in the "virtues" currently "in fashion" of more conformistic parts of the society? And avoiding to potentially "hurt someone" is consistently more important than discussing the topics? (There are clearly some people that should be more protected than others.)

It is good if the contents of these applied (but not always stated) rules are clear, which they obviously are not, by looking at the numbers of stopped discussions (as I referred to in my initial question).

Again, this is posted as I see that many discussions (that I not posted in) develop in very odd directions.

I don’t see a lot of mod/admin interaction on the site at all. Maybe we’re reading different threads? Fundamentally, though, this is a completely privately owned business that’s trying to be welcoming to the greatest number of people possible to get them to spend money here. That means content creators need to want to post their content here and enough customers need to want to use the site to spend their money. If that doesn’t happen, the site dies. It’s not the great town hall with unlimited free speech. It’s a business.

I’d love to see more interaction from mods/admins though. When a thread gets locked, say why. Even if it’s “the discussion in this thread has gotten hostile. Thread locked” I think I’ve seen threads unlocked after people calm down a bit, and then locked again when it turns back into a fight. A little more interaction might make what’s going on more clear. I only mod one small section of the site, so fortunately I’ve never had to lock a thread, but if it happens I will be sure to post a reason so it’s clear.
2 months

X_Larsson:

Who hurt you?
2 months

Check out this nerd,

Um aktually that’s a ad homiem
2 months

X_Larsson:

Munchies:
Who hurt you?

X_Larsson:
Haha, the oh so predictible ad hominem! I am not hurt, and I have posted one question, the same as now is posted by @Letters and numbers; "When a thread gets locked, say why."

I do not care about politics, and I have only had one topic of mine shut down (obviously without any stated reason).
But in the interest of retaining some dynamics and interaction, having clear examples and justification would be good.

I dunno man. The snark and quotations around certain words suggests an unresolved personal trauma.

Would you like a virtual hug? Do you want to talk about it? A burden shared is a burden halved.
2 months

X_Larsson:

Munchies:
Who hurt you?

X_Larsson:
Haha, the oh so predictible ad hominem! I am not hurt, and I have posted one question, the same as now is posted by @Letters and numbers; "When a thread gets locked, say why."

I do not care about politics, and I have only had one topic of mine shut down (obviously without any stated reason).
But in the interest of retaining some dynamics and interaction, having clear examples and justification would be good.

If I’m thinking of the same thread of yours that was locked several months back, I’d say it was because people were starting to dunk on you and there was no positive discussion going on anymore. It had stopped being positive pages back and was churning over the same ground and getting toxic. It wasn’t your fault, particularly, in as much as you weren’t being particularly hostile in return (you were getting pedantic though). It was just a blood in the water feeding frenzy. Personally, I don’t think there was anything more to say in that thread. You weren’t being convinced by what anyone else had to say, nobody at all was convinced by what you had to say, it was turning into ad homs and it was time for it to close. Seemed obvious to me, but what do i know.
2 months

I had to familiarize myself with his thread that got locked, he made generalizations about women, munchies and letters and numbers corrected him and he had a baby boy temper tantrum when I told him to take the L and apologize, sounds like the typical thread that gets locked down some person makes ridiculous claims they get corrected and they double down and refuse to correct themselves.

Dude is just an incel with dumb theories about women
2 months

Morbidly A Beast:
I had to familiarize myself with his thread that got locked, he made generalizations about women, munchies and letters and numbers corrected him and he had a baby boy temper tantrum when I told him to take the L and apologize, sounds like the typical thread that gets locked down some person makes ridiculous claims they get corrected and they double down and refuse to correct themselves.

Dude is just an incel with dumb theories about women

I remember that thread well. At some point, I asked myself, "Why are we here? Just to suffer?" and stopped posting. The thread was locked a few days later.
2 months

Munchies:
I remember that thread well. At some point, I asked myself, "Why are we here? Just to suffer?" and stopped posting. The thread was locked a few days later.

I have the memory of an ant sometimes especially when it comes to bozos they kinda just merge together into one giant shitstorm in my head. Yeah I remeber that part cause I logged out for a few days came back and it was locked up way after people were done with it
2 months
2345   loading