Any product to increase appetite?

fatchance:
The study I quoted may be unusual in that it was not paid for by a drug company.

And I am done with this topic now that my argument has been "dismantled"... LOL

But....it very obviously was!

Out of interest, do you actually have a subscription to Annals of internal Medicine, or did you just copy/paste your text from the website of the discredited celebrity alternative medicine anti-science quack Andrew Weil?
5 years

Aaaannnd now he's edited his post with a copy/pasted, cherrypicked study from 2009 that supports his argument and not the actual body of evidence.

*Slowclap*
5 years

fatchance:
And continue to be.

Sorry - I just edited the end of my post. But for anyone interested, I had sarcastically said that I "was, you know, just being dense", after I had dismantled fatchance's argument and shown that he had, inadvertently, provided evidence for my own....

...and that was his comeback...
5 years

fatchance:
Don't be intentionally dense.

Is there really any need for that?

I'm glad you chose that particular example. The active component in red yeast rice is not stanols, as you state, rather it contains monacolin K, a compound that is identical to lovastatin. The slightly reduced risk of side effects when taking red yeast rice extract occur precisely because the dose of lovastatin/monacolin K is lower. At the appropriate therapeutic dosage, the risk of side effects from the red yeast rice monacolin K is exactly the same.

However, analyses of commercially available red yeast rice extracts have shown the actual dosage to vary wildly, with none of those tested achieving the therapeutic dose of 20mg, and several containing no active ingredient at all. So it's a significantly less effective, safe and predictable intervention.

Additionally, one-third of tested samples were shown to be contaminated with citrinin, a nephrotoxin.

I don't believe you have a particularly comprehensive knowledge of drug approval processes and economics. You do, on the other hand, seem to be displaying what is known as the "Appeal to Nature" fallacy.
5 years

The opposite of feederism

I would imagine a substantial subset of the “pro-ana” community are so inclined.
5 years

fatchance:As with most things, this is not always true. There are supplements that work as well as, or better than the popular prescriptions, and supplements that have fewer side effects that them.

For example?

In some cases, the way they work may be similar, but the prescription is one of the active chemicals in the supplement, in higher concentration that present in the supplement. Sometimes the supplement will have fewer side effects due to it being a number of active ingredients in lower concentration as opposed to a single on in high concentration.

As with most things in life, it depends.

So the supplement will have fewer side effects by containing more impurities and less of the actual medicine?

That is not a valid reason to choose a supplement over medicine.
5 years

High:
Supplements are safer than government regulated medicine. Studies that deny this have been shown to be funded by interests sympathetic to the drug companies.
anonymizer.info/[/quote'>]articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/07/24/pharmaceutical-drugs-vs-nutritional-supplements.aspx
[/url]

Joseph Mercola is a quack fraud. Supplements may also be safer than jumping out of third-floor windows, but that doesn’t make them effective. Actual medicine is bound to have a greater chance of unintended consequences simply as a result of its mechanism of action, or effectiveness.
5 years

SuperPieGuy:
Hi,
My gf and I are looking for products that increase appetite. We tried different things such as shakes but it didn't work and we're kind of desperate. Any products we could order online or find in drugstores? Maybe pills or sirups?
Thanks for your help !

Cyproheptidine. Available as a product called Apetamin/Tres Orix Forte and the antihistamine medication Periactin.
5 years

Is coke even fattening?

KHayes666:
Anything is fattening if eaten or drunk in excess..except vegetables

Even vegetables, high starch vegetables in particular. I doubt it would be desirable or practically possible to create a calorie surplus with lettuce, however.

And you can drink all the water and sugar-free soft drinks you wish and they’ll not make you fat.
5 years
56789   loading