General

"demonizing fat in the war on weight"...

...by DINITIA SMITH (NYTimes, May 1, 2004)

Just came across this and loved it. Would love to hear what everyone thinks about this one? Any issues you'd really like to discuss from here?
13 years

Oooops, my bad.

www.nytimes.com/2004/05/01/arts/demonizing-fat-in-the-war-on-weight.html
13 years

for the lazy like me xD
13 years

I guess either no one wants to read, or no one is bothered by the connection that both Campos and LeBesco make between racism and fat hatred. I felt sure that would be a conversation starter... no takers?
13 years

sethman wrote
I think the problem is that rich people don’t get richer if ordinary people like themselves the way they are. Otherwise, what would they sell to the ordinary if they don’t hate themselves and want to change without having to work for it? It feels like we’re all in a sort of “keeping up with the Joneses” society where everyone’s goal is to be on par with everyone else and to be normal. Until the definition of normal is changed to adjust to what normal people really are nowadays (them being fat and getting fatter), I don’t see things getting better for us.

I don’t want to sound politically incorrect or whatever, but the part of the article discussing racism seems like a load of crap to me. If anything, those minority groups are given less crap about their weight. I present Exhibit A, show business. Do you see any successful fat white women that aren’t Kathy Bates in movies or TV anymore? Nope. Everyone who tries ends up breaking down and going on Jenny Craig, becoming just another skinny white girl in the endless sea of skinny white girls.
[snip...]
Meanwhile, we have Queen Latifa, the girl from Precious, Whoopi Goldberg, Mo’Nique, Sherri Shepherd. All fat. And no one bats an eye.

Hey, Seth, great post!

Two thoughts:

1. You're totally right about the wealth thing. It was a big realisation for me that insecurity--the making and perpetuating of it--is a major branch of contemporary capitalism. Sad.

2. This is one thought with two parts:
a. Queen Latifah, Whoopi, and Mo'Nique have all very famously dieted.
b. The demographics of fat are very much weighted, as it were, towards blacks and Latina/os in the US. Whether or not that is secondary to class is not something I've seen seriously analysed, but I would like to. Those kinds of analyses aren't easy and require real quant social science chops.
13 years

I think it would be great if you posted the article you write. I'm curious about the event.

I still disagree with you to some extent about the issue of race and weight, but it's definitely complicated and subtle. Partly, there are far fewer black women and Latinas in, e.g., pop, and when they're there, they're treated quite differently than the little white girls. (Think Beyonce v Britney, for instance.) Partly, too, they come from communities with different vibes about fat, so perhaps there's something about the way the women themselves think about it that's involved? And partly, representing black and latina women as fat has been part of how they are 'controlled' in the media, so there is a 'type' that a fat minority woman conforms to, like 'Aunt Jemima'--so the permission they have is partly very racist in origin.

Finally, if we add East and South Asians into the mix, one could argue that the pressures on them are even more intense to stay super skinny. The only exception is Margaret Cho, and she's been quite vocal about her experiences.

So, yeah, I think it's not a simple question...
13 years