General

419 scams

The Nigerian scams are very "wordy." Would anyone really write a normal message to someone like that?
13 years

419 scams

Yeah, the message/profile is so impersonal and stilted. Doesn't feel natural at all. Them being a feeder and PMing other feeders wouldn't help either. smiley
13 years

419 scams

Hmmm, and the other guys argued with me when I accused "her" of being fake...

Lust really is an incredibly blinding and stupefying emotion. smiley
13 years

419 scams

roundedout wrote
It's interesting that they weren't asking for money up front in the email.

They think if they ease into it they can lull more people into the trap of thinking that they are really interested...
13 years

419 scams

I wonder if it would be helpful to post a list of 'warning signs.' A lot of perfectly reasonable people were fooled by this one, but those of us who see too much could see it immediately.

Why don't we start a list here that could turn into a help section?
13 years

419 scams

scrambledegg wrote
juicy wrote
I wonder if it would be helpful to post a list of 'warning signs.' A lot of perfectly reasonable people were fooled by this one, but those of us who see too much could see it immediately.

Why don't we start a list here that could turn into a help section?

I really like the list idea!

This one was quite canny in that it wasn't asking for money straight away, and although very wordy, compared to some I've seen in the past, the English / grammar wasn't too bad.

However.....

I just logged into that spam account again. It had 9 messages in the inbox yet it was clear last night (which was when I first logged into it). So in the last 24 hours or so, 9 people from this site had messaged a person who's name was set to '419 Nigerian Scammer' and who's profile CLEARLY listed them as a scam profile that been taken over by a site moderator (me).

The 9 messages were not questioning the name or anything, they were replying to the original scam emails sent by this person! If people are that dumb to reply to a person with '419 Nigerian Scammer' as their name, then I'm not sure a list is going to help! Some people are clearly just unbelievably stupid!

lmfao, I love it!

Would it be terribly inappropriate to name and shame the incredibly stupid? smiley
13 years