Food and recipes

Scottish tablet

Tablet is a traditional Scottish sweet, sort of like fudge but harder. It is crumbly and melts in your mouth. Very easy to make and nice to have in your house for visitors (or just for yourself!) It's easier to make than most people think so have a go! Recipes vary and some people add things like whisky or peppermint, but this is what I do.

Ingredients
150ml whole milk
500g sugar (I use caster sugar but you can use normal white granulated sugar too)
397g condensed milk (A small tin)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
butter (for greasing the tray)

Method
1. Measure out the sugar and whole milk and add these both to a large saucepan.
2. Heat the milk and sugar to allow the sugar to dissolve into the milk.
3. When the sugar has dissolved into the milk, add the condensed milk.
4. On a low heat, cook the mixture for about 20-25 minutes, continually stirring with a wooden spoon until it thickens.
5. When the mixture has thickened, it should turn dark yellow/light brown and it should bubble. Add the vanilla extract at this point.
6. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir continually for about 10-15 mins at a fast pace. (I use an electric whisk).
7. Once the mixture is thick, brown and starts to stick to the wooden spoon and come away from the base of the pan, it is ready to cool. You can then pour it onto a greased tray or do what I do and put it into fairy cake cases. If you are pouring it onto a tray, leave it to cool for about 10 minutes then you can cut it into squares. Leave it to cool for about 5-10 minutes more and then it is ready to eat!

I hope you enjoy this recipe, if anyone has any questions please get in touch!

Lauren x
12 years

Scottish tablet

WitchyMcFottykins wrote:
I have a question, here you mention condensed milk, and being American I am trying to figure out the right equivalent, is this the sweetened type or no

Yep, the sweetened type.
12 years

Scottish tablet

No problem, I hope it turns out great and that you enjoy it as much as I do smiley
12 years