General

Cultures and larger bodies...

My wife's family is Portuguese, and they have a positive view of larger women. Tasty, home-cooked food is always abundant at family functions. Food and alcohol consumption is encouraged, and it is an insult not to eat. Fat acceptance seems to be understood however it is never discussed.
12 years

Sumochickfan wrote:
In some countries fat is considered ''power'' and ''wealth'' and in Japan they have Sumos so obviously they dont see fat as gross.

JAPAN RULES!!!!

crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-399020/fat-being-illegal-in-japan

Under a national law that came into effect two months ago, companies and local governments must now measure the waistlines of Japanese people between the ages of 40 and 74 as part of their annual checkups. That represents more than 56 million waistlines, or about 44 percent of the entire population.

Those exceeding government limits — 33.5 inches for men and 35.4 inches for women, which are identical to thresholds established in 2005 for Japan by the International Diabetes Federation as an easy guideline for identifying health risks — and having a weight-related ailment will be given dieting guidance if after three months they do not lose weight. If necessary, those people will be steered toward further re-education after six more months.

To reach its goals of shrinking the overweight population by 10 percent over the next four years and 25 percent over the next seven years, the government will impose financial penalties on companies and local governments that fail to meet specific targets. The country’s Ministry of Health argues that the campaign will keep the spread of diseases like diabetes and strokes in check.

*coughs*
12 years

Sumochickfan wrote:
In some countries fat is considered ''power'' and ''wealth'' and in Japan they have Sumos so obviously they dont see fat as gross.

JAPAN RULES!!!!

Careful you don't hurt something stretching like that.
12 years

Tonga (polynesia) is also know for apreciating bigger women..
12 years

Sumochickfan wrote:
So wait what about the Sumos?? I mean do they get specail privlages??

One imagines that they would, since it is part of their career.
12 years

[quote]Mattachu wrote:
Reading the Wikipedia article, it looks like it's only prestigious once you reach a certain point - until then you're treated like crap, it sounds like
]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumo

Yes, i've actually looked into this quite a bit and found the life of an aspiring sumo wrestler not as great as my dreams lead me to believe. :\
12 years

Mattachu wrote:
Speaking of Japan, I'm curious - are there any Japanese members here on FF? I've not seen any, but it would be pretty cool to learn some of the FA community lingo from a native (my Japanese isn't good enough yet to seek out any Japanese-language equivalents of FF, sadly >_< )

There are a few. I actually talked to one of them. Although I actually lived in Japan for 2 1/2 years and yes big girls DO exist there, but they are a rarity. The few though that there though, wow. The Japanese are actually really nice people though, and one the things that struck me the whole time I was there was how clean and well kept everything is. Japan truly is a trip for anyone whose never been there.As for other places like the OP posted I can't think of any other cultures off the top of my head that haven't already been mentioned that are immensely fat-positive. In the Philippines the locals seemed pretty nice to everyone including their own when I was on deployment.
12 years