Gaining

Thin people who want to become fat!

Well I don't think I qualify as fat yet but I started off rather thin a while back (around 100lbs) and am now pretty chubby (165lbs).

Hardest part was killing off my stubborn metabolism. smiley
13 years

Yeah also work in progress here..gone from about 168lbs a couple of years ago to 232lbs now..hardest bit I find is the cost..all the food and the changes of clothes as I grew!But will be worth it in the long termsmiley
13 years

I started 2 years ago in 170 lbs, now I'm a little bit over 200 lbs, developing a nice belly and happy.

Looking for a feeder to increase by belly.
12 years

reverseanorexic wrote:
The thing is I actually DO gain easily if I make myself eat heaps, but it takes sooo much self discipline that I don't really have. Is there anything out there that can shut off the I'M FULL STOP EATING signal from my stomach?

Yes. The feeling of fullness is produced through a combination of hormone signalling and good old fashioned eyesight (and probably some other things I don't know about!).

Hormone signalling is linked to your metabolism, so screwing this over by yo-yo dieting, lack of sleep, eating processed foods with plenty of delightful additives etc. can deal with this. This could, though, lead to health issues down the road.

Eyesight... now that's an interesting one. Basically hormone signalling is kinda slow, so the brain augments this by eyeballing how much you are eating and guessing at when you're full. There was a study years ago (sorry, I don't have the link) where they got students to eat soup and then stop when they were full. Half the group had to refill their soup bowls themselves, but the other half (unbeknownst to them) had their bowls automatically refilled by a hidden pipe. The former group got full after a bowl or two or soup, but the latter group ate something absurd like a gallon of soup before they felt full. All because the brain didn't realise how much they were consuming.

So it's perfectly possible to get around feelings of fullness, at least to an extent, by 'tricking' yourself. This is mindless eating - watching TV whilst eating, for example - anything that distracts you so that your brain doesn't clock how much you're consuming.

You could also boost your appetite through exercise. This is probably not going to help you gain a lot of weight, but it will make the process healthier.
12 years

Yeah, people react to stress in different ways - some point on weight, some lose it... and some just stay the same! I wouldn't worry too much either way - just as others desperately want to be thinner so go on counter-productive diets, so you want to be fatter... but I think the most important thing is to be comfortable with how you are.

That said, have you considered resistance training? Given your height, weight and relatively high body fat percentage, I deduce that you must have very little muscle. Lifting some heavy weights (well, heavy eventually!) would put bulk on you but so long as you keep the body fat you'll likely look chubby.

It will likely stimulate your appetite, and there'd be potential health and quality of life benefits too.
12 years

reverseanorexic wrote:
Is there anything out there that can shut off the I'M FULL STOP EATING signal from my stomach?

A feeder?

(Can't believe no one had said that yet? :S)
12 years

Eating more won't slow your metabolism down (well, depending on what you're eating!). If anything it will speed it up. Are you trying to get fatter or more muscular?
12 years

I had the same issue as you until I started drinking:

Ensure supplement shakes, recommended by doctors for weight gain.

Have 3 per day on top of your normal eating.

After about a month you'll notice extra weight.

Don't forget to mix them with milk, soya milk may be healthier.
12 years

reverseanorexic wrote:
Eating more won't slow your metabolism down (well, depending on what you're eating!).

Yep, stuffing yourself silly can have just the opposite effect and can speed your metabolism up, so you'll lose weight the very week you "slack off".

Yeah, unless your metabolism is damaged your body will defend its weight, whether you're trying to gain or lose.
12 years

I am 5'5'' tall. At 17 I was 100 kg, I've always been a skinny guy, I also had the abs to turtle, then started college at age 19 from a restaurant dinner and a drink with friends (I also discovered FF) I gained weight. Now i'm 21 and i weigh 125 pounds, the muscles were cleared, while the belly might take a bit more, now you can take hands full, but still not fat at all I have a BMI of 21.2, i must work hard, if someone want help me...
12 years
12   loading