General

What's up? wassup?

Haha yesss me too! I never have any idea how to respond, what are you meant to say to that? What is it even asking?

I've always thought that 'what's up?' means 'what is the matter?'

If so, how are you supposed to respond to that when you've only just started a conversation with somebody?

I think there must be something I'm missing as it always really confuses me. I guess it's just a greeting that I always take too literally.. ?
12 years

What's up? wassup?

SweetGirl07 wrote:
It just means, "What are you up to?". smiley

that's what I've always thought it as - a general "what's going on"
12 years

What's up? wassup?

If someone said that to me, even though I know what it means, I just wouldn't be able to resist saying, "my cock if you play your cards right".
12 years

What's up? wassup?

Seems like it's just one of those things that has a little different connotation in the US than it does in the UK. In the US I think it's more a shortened version of the phrase "what's up with you".
12 years

What's up? wassup?

Budweiser ad:
12 years

What's up? wassup?

sarahjuana wrote:
I get the same feeling of confusion when someone from the UK greets me with "alright?"
alright what? or, why wouldn't I be alright? what? :o

Ha, i've noticed this too, as well as "you ok?" I'm like "should i not be?" :S
12 years

What's up? wassup?

GOOD wrote:
Im one of those types that says "Whats up?" and I always want to strike the people who say "the sky!" or "the ceiling!"

When people say "hi!" I dont say "Not yet, but maybe later tonight if my dealer comes through!"

smiley

hahaahahaaaaa
12 years

What's up? wassup?

I am always minded to reply, "why, 'up' is a preposition, of course!"
12 years