General

What is 'health' anyway....?

foxglove wrote:
Such a good thread.

Like Gary I remember the study that said that being (moderately) fat actually doesn't shorten your lifespan.

I'm also trying to remember the literature on management of so-called obesity-related diseases such as diabetes, and arguments over whether or not certain diseases such as diabetes are really caused by obesity or whether the link is more sophisticated/complex than a causal link.

I recall reading that whilst there is an apparent correlation between being overweight and contracting adult-onset (Type II) diabetes, actually it also depends what you ate to get overweight. If you eat fast and sugary food to excess, you increase your risk of becoming diabetic. If you eat sensible food (ie. stuff that doesn't send your blood sugar up and down crazily, like protein and green vegetables and pulses) to excess, you might well be fat but you won't get diabetes because your blood sugar level has always been normal.

Further the expense to the health service caused by people with diabetes has a closer link to education than to being overweight. You are far less likely to require medical resources if you manage your diabetes well (type II diabetes can often be managed by food choices alone) than if you have poor control over your blood sugar. Because that control is tricky to achieve if you're confused about how to do it, a thin but cognitively challenged person is going to present much more of a problem to the GP and hospital than a very fat but bright or well-informed person who is dealing well with their diabetes.

Obviously there is a correlation between poverty and poor management of diabetes because of the education issue. Which links back to what Gingersnaps was saying about the real issue being fat = poor and also now fat = poor = drain on resources because of poor ability to manage a (usually) controllable health condition.

Can someone who has a more organised brain than me or proper medical knowledge summarise it/confirm or deny the above?

Does this apparent link to being overweight, which actually breaks down if you look at it carefully, apply to other health conditions as well as diabetes?

I seem to recall that there are certain cancers that fat people are allegedly more prone to, but again I wonder if that is actually fat people who eat a certain type of food or who don't take exercise (etc), not fat people per se. I also recall there are certain cancers that overweight people are LESS likely to get.

I agree that being overweight tends to be seen as a general evil when in fact it might be more specific, eg. eating certain foods (which you don't have to be fat to do) or behaving in a certain way (not managing a health condition). Sure, more fat people are likely to suffer those health conditions but it's not actually BEING FAT that causes them.

You are right, all the diseases supposed to be associated with being overweight are not at all caused by the extra fat tissue on the body, they are caused by improper diet and lack of excercise, however there is one exception and thats diabetes, because sometimes the pancreas just cant secret enough insulin to provide for a large body.
12 years

Layla is right about the Pancreas struggling to deliver enough insuline around a larger body. However, I know that exercise is one of the things that is greatly encouraged when someone does have a high blood sugar level, or just generally in life for everyone. As sex is a great exercise, maybe we should be at it like rabbits. I'm sure most here wouldn't complain about having more sex.
12 years

chubbyhoney wrote:

I don't think sex is as good exercise as everyone thinks. Yes, even if you're 'doing it right'. I remember reading that it doesn't get the heart rate high enough or high enough for any amount of time to be a good source of exercise.. wishful thinking!

Rats. I was all geared up for using "You! Come here! I'm fat and this country can't afford for me to get diabetes. You have to have sex with me NOW!" at the next available opportunity.
12 years

I'll attempt to answer the OP's question.

Health at a bare minimum IMO, is merely a measure of one's fitness, meaning their chances of survival, so that can reproduce. Fitness takes into account physical attributes, psychological attributes, societal and environment attributes, etc.

Outside of that there are economical and societal definitions that have been perverted and used to promote an attitude and get people to spend money.
11 years

chubbyhoney wrote:
gary1627 wrote:
Layla is right about the Pancreas struggling to deliver enough insuline around a larger body. However, I know that exercise is one of the things that is greatly encouraged when someone does have a high blood sugar level, or just generally in life for everyone. As sex is a great exercise, maybe we should be at it like rabbits. I'm sure most here wouldn't complain about having more sex.

I don't think sex is as good exercise as everyone thinks. Yes, even if you're 'doing it right'. I remember reading that it doesn't get the heart rate high enough or high enough for any amount of time to be a good source of exercise.. wishful thinking!

Maybe so,but sex is ENJOYABLE exercise, I daresay very few folks could argue with that.smiley
11 years

Whenever this subject comes up, these two studies come to mind.

gatsby.ucl.ac.uk/~pel/fat/fat_genetics

'Fat people who lost large amounts of weight might look like someone who was never fat, but they were very different. In fact, by every metabolic measurement, they seemed like people who were starving.'

'Every one had physical and psychological signs of starvation. There were a very few who did not get fat again, but they made staying thin their life's work, becoming Weight Watchers lecturers, for example, and, always, counting calories and maintaining themselves in a permanent state of starvation.'

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

'Confirmation that prolonged semi-starvation produces significant increases in depression, hysteria and hypochondriasis as measured using the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. Indeed, most of the subjects experienced periods of severe emotional distress and depression. There were extreme reactions to the psychological effects during the experiment including self-mutilation. Participants exhibited a preoccupation with food, both during the starvation period and the rehabilitation phase. Sexual interest was drastically reduced, and the volunteers showed signs of social withdrawal and isolation. The participants reported a decline in concentration, comprehension and judgment capabilities, although the standardized tests administered showed no actual signs of diminished capacity.'
11 years

softgirl wrote:
Whenever this subject comes up, these two studies come to mind.

gatsby.ucl.ac.uk/~pel/fat/fat_genetics

'Fat people who lost large amounts of weight might look like someone who was never fat, but they were very different. In fact, by every metabolic measurement, they seemed like people who were starving.'

'Every one had physical and psychological signs of starvation. There were a very few who did not get fat again, but they made staying thin their life's work, becoming Weight Watchers lecturers, for example, and, always, counting calories and maintaining themselves in a permanent state of starvation.'

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

'Confirmation that prolonged semi-starvation produces significant increases in depression, hysteria and hypochondriasis as measured using the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. Indeed, most of the subjects experienced periods of severe emotional distress and depression. There were extreme reactions to the psychological effects during the experiment including self-mutilation. Participants exhibited a preoccupation with food, both during the starvation period and the rehabilitation phase. Sexual interest was drastically reduced, and the volunteers showed signs of social withdrawal and isolation. The participants reported a decline in concentration, comprehension and judgment capabilities, although the standardized tests administered showed no actual signs of diminished capacity.'

Wow.
11 years

You can always rely on softgirl to find the answers. As for chubbyhoney, you need to find someone who's not only good at it, but also takes your needs into account.
11 years
12   loading