12 years

"plus size" model

tubbykins wrote:
that photo made me laugh out loud. literally. LAUGH. HA HA HA HAHAHAHH

hahahahaahahah ME TOO
she is thinner than I EVER was hahahaaa
12 years

"plus size" model

her legs look photoshoped... but i have no clue if this is true.

Nothing plus size about her if you ask me
12 years

"plus size" model

She's proud of her figure? Is that because she's skinny, or that she thinks she really is plus sized?
12 years

"plus size" model

okapi wrote:
For a size acceptance site there sure are a lot of negative comments about size here. This woman is 6'2". I'd say that qualifies as plus size.

She is tall, which is usual for a model. If 'plus' was in reference to height, all models would be plus size. The attention she has received isn't because of her height but because of her weight.

I don't think that anybody has been negative about this woman's body, just commenting on the ridiculousness of the fashion industry for classing a woman of this weight as 'plus'.

Her food blog however, is amazing!

robynlawleyeats.tumblr.com/
12 years

"plus size" model

okapi wrote:
For a size acceptance site there sure are a lot of negative comments about size here. This woman is 6'2". I'd say that qualifies as plus size.

I don't think anyone's being negative about her size. She looks amazing.

I'm just disappointed that society brands her as plus size. Of course that's within the fashion industry so one has to put it in context. In comparison to catwalk and high-fashion models she is unusually big (and I disagree with Okapi that the phrase plus size refers to her height in this context - it is clearly about her dress size).

Of course it is positive that she is the new model for whichever fashion house it is because if they are prepared to put forward an image of themselves which is even slightly more "normal"-shaped then that is a step in the right direction.

I was just shocked to see her described as plus size when the evidence of my own eyes was that I was looking at an exceptionally willowy woman. I think by the tone of most people's replies the consensus is that using "plus size" to describe her feels somewhat ridiculous.
12 years

"plus size" model

Look, it's just funny and slightly bonkers, alright?!

Google Robyn Lawley and you will see articles which do mention her height, but only in passing. They focus on her size and weight.

This article, an interview with the model herself, indicates that she had to accept her own weight and body size (not height) and thereafter became a plus size model: www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/09/26/ralph-lauren-plus-size-model-robyn-lawley-i-m-proud-of-my-body.html

She says:
"By industry standards I would only be able to model on the catwalks if I forced my body down to a size 0-2. Instead, I am "plus-size." "

So she's saying she isn't considered plus size because of her height, only because of her size.

A seven foot basket ball player would actually be huge, so no of course I wouldn't object to his being called that. A size 12 model (all the more so when she is 6'2"smiley is not by any reasonable standard big, so to call her plus size is a great example of how bananas the fashion industry is.

That is all.
12 years