Lifestyle tips

Acid reflux

Since I started gaining in 2009,I've gained about 80lbs.I've noticed that I've steadily got more of a problem with acid reflux (heartburn)as I've gained (never had it when I was slim).
I know obesity can be a link and I don't have it all of the time and it seems easily controllable with over the counter indigestion tablets,but I just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem and whether you have any advice from your own experience?
12 years

Acid reflux

weird
how does obesity cause acid reflux do you know ?
sorry im just curious lol
and no I havent experienced this at all, I only get acid reflux after I eat heaps of food just before bed or something and even then its no more often than when i was slimmer.
12 years

Acid reflux

Layla wrote:
weird
how does obesity cause acid reflux do you know ?
sorry im just curious lol
and no I havent experienced this at all, I only get acid reflux after I eat heaps of food just before bed or something and even then its no more often than when i was slimmer.
Well,the internet really (check out acid reflux on Wikipedia)...seems to indicate it's the weight 'gain' rather than being fat,though it does say that it's not certain or even clear as to how/why etc.
I've obviously had a big weight gain and this has happened with me,so just curious...DEFINITELY won't stop my gaining thoughsmiley
12 years

Acid reflux

I have it, and my dr blames it on my weight. not sure if its correlation or causation, but i don't remember having trouble with it before i gained.

I take a prescription acid reducer, and it helps a lot. i try avoid certain foods that i know trigger it, and i try to avoid eating or drinking beer so many hours before bed.

it really sucks because the two things that trigger mine the worst are beer and pizza. but, you learn to live with it. preventing it before you get it is the best.
12 years

Acid reflux

Yeah I get it occasionally since I've gained weight, usually if I have too much wine or fruit juice.

I read that it's just the extra weight on your abdomen pushing everything (stomach acid) up! I imagine it's probably similar to why it's also common in pregnancy.
12 years

Acid reflux

ahhh yes ok that makes sense
thanks !
12 years

Acid reflux

softgirl wrote:
Yeah I get it occasionally since I've gained weight, usually if I have too much wine or fruit juice.

I read that it's just the extra weight on your abdomen pushing everything (stomach acid) up! I imagine it's probably similar to why it's also common in pregnancy.
Thanks everybody (at least I'm not alone!lol).I know pregnant women suffer a lot with it and like most men,the vast majority of my weight goes around my middle:I'm sure the pressure has something to do with it.
Am still trying to work out if particular foods cause it (probably all the ones I like!lol).
12 years

Acid reflux

The Only Weigh is Essex wrote:
There are certain foods that really trigger it much more than others. Anything spicy, and lots of alcohol will cause it. Carbonated drinks also don't help.

It's often worst for me at night, it's always worth having a glass of whole milk before bed, and that can really help settle your stomach if you do suffer from it.
I suppose everybody's different.I tried the milk thing and it made no difference for me.I thought spicy food would not help...had a curry and alcohol a couple of weekends ago and no problem at all!lolGuess I'm just really weird (please don't all rush to agree with that!lol)
12 years

Acid reflux

I have had THE worst heartburn today, ive never had it this bad before, I ended up having to go to bed like upright for half the day because it was sooo painful haha

I couldn't work out what was causing it and then mum told me its probably because today I was prescribed antibiotics haha and now I notice im getting it not long after each pill
and it sucks sooo bad haha

I tried the lemon thing but that didnt seem to work but what did was drinking heapsss of milk and eating cold vanilla icecream hahaa

but yeah I didnt even know antibiotics can have the side effect of heart burn !
12 years

Acid reflux

GAVISCON is the answer. You can get it in any chemist. It's chalky and alkaline to neutralise the acid. It's totally safe - they even give it to babies (so my mother tells me, but to be fair she was a midwife in the 60s so times may have changed haha). You can get it in liquid form or tablets which are handy for keeping in your handbag. They're a bit chalky and foamy in the mouth but they do the job.

I find eating wheat products like bread, pasta and pizza cause heartburn, plus alcohol and sugar. It's especially bad if I eat a lot of those things near bedtime.
11 years