General

What's your motto?

Dan wrote:
It didn't stop me feeling down about my comparatively trivial problems, it just made me feel guilty for feeling that way, and made me feel like a very selfish person.

Yes I'm obviously glad I've never had to experience those horrific events, but it doesn't make smaller problems any less important to an individual, nor should anyone be made to feel guilty for it.

I do agree. I've heard such advice be described as "problem avoidance", particularly because it pushes depression/etc aside, when such problems really DO need to be tackled and dealt with.

It does work for some people though. Just never use it on someone suffering from depression/etc or else it may likely backfire horribly.
11 years

What's your motto?

Some that have stuck with me recently these:
"It is surprising what a man can do when he has to, and how little most men will do when they don't have to."
-Walter Linn

"No man ever wetted clay, as if there would be bricks by chance and fortune."
-Plutarch

"Be as scrupulous in performing a minor commandment as a major one...for you know not the reward it will bring."
-Talmud

"Endurance is patience, concentrated."
-Thomas Carlyle

One that I like the best right now is this one:
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
-George Bernard Shaw
11 years

What's your motto?

What goes around comes around. I'm a believer in Karma and that good deeds don't go unrewarded
11 years

What's your motto?

My own personal quote I created & live by..."The body is just the box that holds the true gift of the soul...Some of us just have bigger packages!"smiley
11 years