General

Some much needed chat tips

you say that like those are reasonable guidlines for people to follow by

XP
11 years

We all have little problems with things on the web.I've learned it's easier & healthier to basically ignore them.Getting overly frustrated isn't good for your blood pressure...smiley
11 years

bottle cap wrote:
I am getting rather annoyed with some of the awful: language; grammar and spelling that some members of the FF community present to the person they're chatting with/role playing with.

OK, but as Ruby says above, some people have difficulties with spelling. I'm a grammar and spelling Nazi too - believe me, I feel your pain. But I don't think you can lay dow the law. You can only say what doesn't float your personal boat. There is also a whole generation out there who, like it or hate it, use txt spk as a matter of course. It's normal for them and we're not going to change that. They probably think we're right old fogeys for not using it.

bottle cap wrote:
Tips:
1: Say high.
-I can't stand it when people invite me to a private chat room without saying high to me in the public chat room. You wouldn't invite a just any person into your home without saying hi first)

As Ruby says, you're somewhat hoist by your own petard here.

bottle cap wrote:3: Please try to be punctual and formal when typing. (In other words, don't type and jerk off at the same time).
As explained above, I really hate people who type as if they had the brain capacity of a sexually active 12 year old. Its just gross and vile.

Well, that's me out. "Its just gross" should be "It's just gross". Nothing worse than apostrophe errors. But that's just me smiley
11 years

UberCapitalist wrote:
When people have no success sending individualized personal messages and don't get any messages themselves, it becomes more favorable to cut to the chase and send their requests to as many people as possible. At this point it becomes a numbers game. They will eventually find someone who is interested, making all of the people they might have made uncomfortable along the way irrelevant. Being more empathetic is unfavorable in their position as they receive little attention otherwise.
You are expressing your values as if they are universal. Have you considered that there are some people that might enjoy what you consider unpleasant and are indifferent to spelling errors? If these messages bother you, then you should be happy to know that you are in a position of power as you are able to sift through the messages for ones that interest you and get to ignore the ones that don't.

I actually agree with this 100%, not to mention that there is now a feature enabling you to turn off all private chat requests and you can also block people in chat.
11 years

personally someone says "high" to me instead of making them feel to stupid my joke response is not since college... it's a funny way of saying umm yeah let's at least attempt to use a simple greeting in the right way and points out in a humorous way why it's a silly use of the word. :-)
10 years