Lifestyle tips

How do you dress your belly?

Hello lovelies,

I'm looking for a little advice from any fellow big-booty, big bellied fashionistas (aspiring or otherwise). The holidays are upon us, and so are the social events that go with it. This has inspired me to finally invest in a much MUCH needed update to my wardrobe. Weee!

The only catch is that this time last year I started gaining, a lot. I've been purchasing stop-gap items as I've grown from size 14/16 to 22/24, and now that my weight has stabilised (mostly), I'm desperate to get back to my more stylish ways!

I have to shop online (currently looking at ASOS Curve), and could really use some advice about how you ladies dress to flatter your favourite parts? Here's what I'm working with: I'm reasonably curvy and pretty proportional, save for my bigger butt and thighs. I have a long torso and my belly is rather prominent beneath my waistline. My style is classic with an edge, and boho/alternative twist when I'm at home. I'm trying to find clothes that will be good for both, because clothes are frickin' expensive. My goal is to rock my curves and keep my belly as comfortable and classy as possible - in case I need a little more room to grow smiley

For the record, I feel like a bit of a knob for describing myself in such a way, but like I said, I'm desperate.

Ladies of FF, what do you like to wear? Styles, items, cuts, stores, size advice... bring it on! Gentlemen, feel free to chime in, too smiley

Thanks in advance for the advice - any and all is welcome and appreciated!
9 years

LilRascl wrote:
Hello lovelies,

I'm looking for a little advice from any fellow big-booty, big bellied fashionistas (aspiring or otherwise). The holidays are upon us, and so are the social events that go with it. This has inspired me to finally invest in a much MUCH needed update to my wardrobe. Weee!

The only catch is that this time last year I started gaining, a lot. I've been purchasing stop-gap items as I've grown from size 14/16 to 22/24, and now that my weight has stabilised (mostly), I'm desperate to get back to my more stylish ways!

I have to shop online (currently looking at ASOS Curve), and could really use some advice about how you ladies dress to flatter your favourite parts? Here's what I'm working with: I'm reasonably curvy and pretty proportional, save for my bigger butt and thighs. I have a long torso and my belly is rather prominent beneath my waistline. My style is classic with an edge, and boho/alternative twist when I'm at home. I'm trying to find clothes that will be good for both, because clothes are frickin' expensive. My goal is to rock my curves and keep my belly as comfortable and classy as possible - in case I need a little more room to grow smiley

For the record, I feel like a bit of a knob for describing myself in such a way, but like I said, I'm desperate.

Ladies of FF, what do you like to wear? Styles, items, cuts, stores, size advice... bring it on! Gentlemen, feel free to chime in, too smiley

Thanks in advance for the advice - any and all is welcome and appreciated!

Hey LilRascl,

I'm a 20/22 and 5'8" so not far different. The style you described sounds a little like me so here's my two happen'orth in case it helps.

I tend to go for dresses (with reasonably stretchy fabric - not necessarily figure hugging, but something with a bit of give to it) with leggings or really thick opaque tights. In the winter I go for chunky footwear to give it a slight edge, like biker boots or ankle height fringed cowboy boots, and in the summer with sneakers like Converse, or ballet pumps/flip flops. (Basically I can't do heels - too painful!). I layer up with knitwear, particularly cardigans that are longer/drapey in the front and shorter at the back, so I can draw them over my belly if I'm feeling self-conscious, but at the same time they're not swamping me like a giant tent. I really like accessorising with stuff with a gothy/grungy twist like giant black flower brooches, feather fascinator, skull necklace, etc. Maybe even a pillbox hat with a veil if I'm feeling fancy.

As for brands, I'm liking ASOS Curve too, particularly Junarose and Little Mistress dresses. I got these ones all from ASOS recently:

asos.com/Junarose/Junarose-Lace-Insert-T-Shirt-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx

asos.com//Alice-You/Alice-You-Mono-Print-Scuba-T-Shirt-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx

which go well with leggings underneath & you can style them up or grunge them down.

I find wrap dresses are completely brilliant if you have big boobs and a big butt, but some kind of vague waist silhouette (despite the belly), because the v-neck shape is super-flattering, shows a bit of nice cleavage, emphasises the waist and then flares out comfortably over the belly/bum area, AND looks ladylike OR you can style it down with sneakers/edgy boots. I have a really nicely shaped one from M&S which is black with polka dots, quite short above the knee so it doesn't look frumpy worn with leggings.

I find tea dresses are also good for the same reason, particularly if they're wrap-style, although I can't quite get with the 40s vibe that it evokes. Wannabe Princess on this site has a completely FABULOUS one with a cupcake print from Lady V of London:

ladyvlondon.com/Black-Cupcake-Print-Estella-Dress/#.VIvMNSgnZnE

OMG they have some left in your size!! Get it!!

For Christmas parties or smarter occasions I went for:

asos.com//Little-Mistress-Plus/Little-Mistress-Wrap-Front-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx

asos.com//Junarose/Junarose-Cape-Sleeve-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx

asos.com//Little-Mistress-Plus/Little-Mistress-Plus-Wrap-Front-Sequin-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx

The cardigan shape I absolutely love is this one from All Saints:
allsaints.com/women/knitwear/allsaints-wasson-pirate-cardigan/

Yes I know, they only go up to a size 14 smiley BUT It fits me fine because it has some stretch. Might depend on how big you are in the upper arms. I have it in 3 different colour ways (they release different ones every so often) and literally it goes with everything. Short in the back so you're not swamped (which is fine if you're ok with your booty - I find it works because if you're relatively proportionate, it will emphasise that you have a waist) and the front can tie, or wrap round (there are poppers on the ends of the long sections) or simply hang like a jacket, in which case it looks quite presentable, smart even. OR I've also found almost exact copies of it by Next etc for a lot cheaper and nearly as good a cut, and in bigger sizes.

There are a bunch of plus size websites posted somewhere on this forum - I'll find the link for you. When I discovered Navabi.com I was so happy! It's a European website, and more expensive/designer than say ASOS, but when you want to buy something really good quality for a special occasion it's brilliant - I don't think there's anything else like it. So often I'd tried to throw money at the issue but found that NO-ONE COULD TAKE MY MONEY because they just don't make a size that fits me (and to be honest I don't consider 20-22-24 that big or unusual these days). So Navabi fills that gap in the market (but come on UK, why can't we do the same?).

Happy shopping and belly-flaunting smiley
9 years

fantasyfeeder.com/cms/infusions/forum/view-thread.php

You'll deffo find loads of inspiration in this thread.
9 years