Lifestyle tips

Dealing with the 'looks'

I tend to take one of two routes.

If my weight gain is mentioned by someone else first, I laugh it off with a dismissive comment that can be as simple as, "I know, right?!" I was also living with an ailing relative when I gained most of my weight, so I often used the joke that as he lost weight, I found it.

My strategy with friends and family is to bring it up first, usually in a very casual and very quick way, such as, "obviously I've gained some weight recently, but [it doesn't bother me]!" Or something to that effect. Sorry my examples aren't more detailed, and I hope this makes some sense or is at least somewhat useful.

I agree with Thorndown about not making excuses, simply because I've found that people think they have a right to comment or criticise when they feel you're unhappy. That's when the, "I'm doing you a favour" mindset kicks in. By letting people know I'm comfortable, either by saying so or reacting in a totally comfortable, accepting way when they bring it up, does a surprisingly good job at putting an end to those "helpful" comments!
9 years

Dealing with the 'looks'

I gave some advice on this question that worked for one person anyway:

askdrfeeder.dyndns.org/letters.html#Amanda
9 years

Dealing with the 'looks'

I have responded sometimes by saying
"I kind of like it"
9 years