Gaining

Back pain due to weight gain

I have recently gained a bit of weight, and while I am loving it, I'm experiencing a bit of pain in my lower back. It feels quite tense and stiff... I'm wondering is this normal? And has anyone else had this? And how long will it last, or will I be stuck with it? :O
8 years

I'm not sure if it's 'normal' but it's not to be entirely unexpected. Weight gain does a lot of things, such as changing your posture; and if you've gained in such a way that you've lost enough muscle and gained enough fat, your spine and back will be affected to some extent.

I'm much shorter than you (5'4 vs. 6'1) and I've experienced some mild, (mid-to-upper) back pain as a result of gaining.

From what I understand, moderate exercise can ameliorate the discomfort over time. Can't testify personally as to the efficacy--(as I don't really exercise...) but it seems to make sense.
8 years

Thank you! Well excersize probably would be the best thing... But I will try and keep it mild, as I have worked hard to gain this weight smiley

I have had it a week or so now, I am trying stretches etc, and hot water bottles, and a mix between standing and sitting.
8 years

I suffer something similar. Reasons: desk job, stature too big for crappy chair. Also having trouble with bed matresses... all that makes my spine beg for help.

I'm trying lots of stuff, but not much of it helps. Exercising is probably the best shot.

Thats both strange and good you noticed it that early at 215 lbs. You should definitely strengthen your back, or better everything else if you plan on gaining more, so don't hesitate going to gym. My favorite exercise in the end of visit was hyperextension (or whatever that called, when you lift your torso and straighten body with your lower back muscles) I might have something really wrong with my back, because this exercise gives kind of a relaxing and blissful feeling after finishing it.

Other things I'd suggest is swimming and also recently I was looking at yoga (for beginners one). Especially that pose when you lay on your belly and then lift torso again to form an L smiley
8 years