General

Is 50lbs in a year a realistic goal?

It may be doable, but would likely require determination. I've heard of gaining all that, and more in a single year.

Supposedly at some point you'd transition from being a pusher (determined to overeat) to a letting-goer (eat so much you have to try to hold back.. or you don't so you gain more), but I really couldn't say when that happens.

On the other hand, you did claim to gain 8 lbs over the holidays. If that was almost without even trying, you should have an easier time.

60 lbs in a year (which is more than 50) is 5 lbs in a month, a little more than 1 lb a week.

1 lb a week is 52 lbs in a year.

2 lbs or even more in a week should be more than possible, but you probably can't sustain more than 1-2 lbs in a week consistently.

Some folks have reported gaining 1-2 lbs a day on cruises or other all-inclusive vacations, but in those, everything is provided for and you don't have to worry about things like going to work or even cleaning up behind yourself. This helps facilitate eating vastly more than is otherwise typically possible, so it's unreasonable to expect those kinds of results consistently.

You almost certainly would need larger clothes, which could potentially be a costly endeavor. Suits in particular aren't the cheapest, at least barely decent ones (wool suits from JCPenney). I don't know what job you have so I have to point that out. 2 suits is easier to deal with vs. an entire closet full of them, which some jobs need.

You could save some money buy getting clothes the next size up. The larger you get, the more flexible the sizes are, as something that's 1 size too small may squeeze rather than be impossible to get on.

I couldn't really say what impact it could have physically. It depends on how much time you spend at the gym and/or how active your job is. If you have an active job, I expect the impact to be minimal, since you'd just get used to it. Taking up more space may be a concern but you'd probably adjust.

On the other hand, if you have a desk job and can't remember the last time you were in a gym, and you keep that same level of inactivity, you may find things like stairs a bigger challenge with significant gain.

Most of the problems associated with obesity seem to tied into limited activity more than anything else, as far as I can tell. I'm not counting various food intolerant problems some folks may have.

Regardless, gaining X lbs is not the same as carrying a backpack or whatever that also weighs X lbs, because to some degree you'll adjust.

Other than possibly financial, especially because of clothes (I don't know what that's like for you), the biggest roadblock would likely be psychological. It's one thing to dream and imagine doing something, and quite another to actually do it. At least a couple times you might think "What have I done to myself?" so you end up pausing a bit. So don't be surprised if this happened at least a couple times.
4 years

Is 50lbs in a year a realistic goal?

You're not that much taller than me, so 50lbs will be noticeable. I'm almost up 20 from my starting 140, and I'm getting a couple of quick looks down to the waist every now and then. 50 more will surely be noticeable, even if people are polite enough not to say anything.
4 years