Feedback and suggestions

Sexual orientation and gender options

i just submitted my first story here, and when i went to choose the sexual orientation i was surprised at the options. gay and lesbian are listed separately, and bisexual isn't even an option.

my story only features sexual acts between women, so i chose lesbian, but the main character is a bisexual woman, and she is in a long-term heterosexual relationship

i also noticed in the profiles, when you select your gender, you can choose male, female, transgender, and no gender. that seems a little bit trans-phobic, or at least trans-ignorant. if a person is trans, they probably want to specify trans male or trans female.

if you just list transgender as an option without specifying male or female, it kind of implies that you only want that option so you can exclude trans people from searches.
3 years

As a trans person, I agree. This does somewhat make me feel uncomfortable as if the only reason for a writer to pick that option is that the story involves someone's gender changing in the story and not a story about a person who has experienced being misgendered and then discovered themselves before or during the story.

On top of that if I had a trans character in a story that didn't involve them transforming then I would just put their gender and not transgender but I'm not sure how other trans people would feel so I'd ask for their opinion too.
3 years

The gender setting I am talking about is on user profiles. On your user profile you can choose male, female, transgender, or no gender. You can't choose transgender male or transgender female.

Probably most transgender people on this site choose male or female as gender for their profiles, because transgender is not a gender.

Transgender is an adjective that can be applied to gender to offer more detail. I believe the main reason the site includes transgender in the gender setting on user profiles is to let other users exclude transgender people from their searches.

Do people really search for transgender profiles? If they do search for transgender people, wouldn't they usually also want to specify male or female?
3 years

Thanks for bringing this up the fact that transgender male and transgender female would be better options that just transgender. It's been highlighted before and is an update we intend to make.
3 years

There seems to be a crossover of subjects here.

The initial post on this thread was discussing the story character options.

Which has lead us onto discussing profile options.

As the poster has created a new thread about profiles here: fantasyfeeder.com/forum/posts

Lets try to keep each forum relevant to the topic at hand.

Thanks.
3 years

Yay for inclusive changes!
3 years

I also want to suggest non-binary as an option for gender, as well as possibly listing pronouns (he/him, she/her, they/them, some combination)
3 years