Food and recipes

Ramen tacos

Yes, you read that right, hear me out...

Basically I was inspired to make this recipe after having various issues with ground beef (hard bits in burgers, grease overcoming the taste and running everywhere), thing which made it frustrating to eat, but I'm not entirely vegan or vegetarian as I still eat chicken and fish.

I was unsatisfied with options that I had seen as I felt they didn't care to really attempt to recreate the texture of ground beef and thus I knew would just not work, though I knew that spaghetti or ramen noodles would easily have the same texture and all you'd need is the seasoning.

So I tried it and it worked. Though it will admittedly taste not quite like a taco but will work as one (in fact I like them better myself).

Ingredients:
1 Pack Top Ramen Chicken Flavour
1 Teaspoon and 1 dash of Taco Seasoning (dash in this case is about 0.6 Teaspoons)
2 cups of Water (as per Ramen instructions)
4-5 Hard Taco Shells (Soft taco shells might work, but I haven't personally tested it) (6 also might work but one might not have as much "meat" as the others)
Shredded Cheese of your preference (I use either Cheddar or a blend labeled "Four Cheese Mexican" which I can't remember what all it has [Monterey Jack, Quesadilla, and two others])

Instructions:
1 - Take out the seasoning packet that came with the ramen noodles and mix with the taco seasoning in a separate container

2 - Break up ramen into small chucks that seem bite sized (basically so they'll not be stuck together when in the taco shell, and when you bite into the taco you wont be left with noodles hanging from your mouth)

3 - Cook the ramen in 2 cups of water as per the package instructions (For Microwave: warm the 2 cups of water for 3 minutes and then add the noodles and cook for 5 minutes)

4 - Drain the water from the noodles and then mix in the seasoning

5 - Place noodles into taco shells and add cheese to top them off (other toppings may be used if you feel like it)

6 - Enjoy!
3 years

Ramen tacos

It's more nuanced than that but I sort of got the idea from that.

There's this cookbook called Ramen Joy or something like that. I watched someone cook a similar recipe on YouTube, Ramen Spaghetti tacos. Their complaint was that it just tasted like nothing.

I realised it was most likely because they didn't use the flavour packet, so I tired it without adding spaghetti sauce. Then with adding taco seasoning only and found I was right in my guess that the flavour packet is necessary.

I've never tried spaghetti tacos, I just wanted to replace ground beef with something that is a similar texture.
3 years