Lifestyle tips

Shin splints and knee stiffness?

I like to go on long walks and always have, but I've noticed that since crossing around 200lbs I'm more likely to feel a tenderness in my shins (especially on my non-dominant leg) after a while, or if I have to stand for a very long time.

I also feel an occasional stiffness of the knee, which I presume is some kind of weight-related arthritis.

Any tips on how to avoid this issue while continuing to walk? I've been trying to do more leg-muscle strengthening exercises recently but I think part of the problem is my "form" when walking and standing. I find myself wondering what the perfect standing form is so that I'm putting the least amount of pressure on my joints, diverting it instead towards various muscles.
1 year

MitchHedberg:
I like to go on long walks and always have, but I've noticed that since crossing around 200lbs I'm more likely to feel a tenderness in my shins (especially on my non-dominant leg) after a while, or if I have to stand for a very long time.

I also feel an occasional stiffness of the knee, which I presume is some kind of weight-related arthritis.

Any tips on how to avoid this issue while continuing to walk? I've been trying to do more leg-muscle strengthening exercises recently but I think part of the problem is my "form" when walking and standing. I find myself wondering what the perfect standing form is so that I'm putting the least amount of pressure on my joints, diverting it instead towards various muscles.

My question is why do you have a dominate leg?

Also, what exercises have you been doing, how long have you been doing them, and how much of your leg is muscle mass?

What are you doing for your joint health? How are you standing and walking?

Most importantly, have you seen a doctor?
1 year

MitchHedberg:

Munchies:
My question is why do you have a dominate leg?

Also, what exercises have you been doing, how long have you been doing them, and how much of your leg is muscle mass?

What are you doing for your joint health? How are you standing and walking?

Most importantly, have you seen a doctor?

99% of people have a dominant leg whether they're aware of it or not. Go kick a soccer ball. Which leg did you use? That's your dominant leg.

To add to that though, my left ankle was injured as a kid and I believe I've subconsciously compensated with my right to make up for it.

At the gym I use the hip abductor machine, leg press, a calf raising machine and I'm starting to do wall squats.

I don't know exactly but I do have quite a bit of muscle mass in general and that includes my legs.

I exercise and eat nutritious foods for my join health.

I don't know how to answer your questions about my walking or standing. I walk and stand in a way that's normal to me I guess, and I try to actively avoid ever having my legs completely straight or my knees locked.

I haven't been to a doctor about this yet though I can say with a high degree of certainty that I'll just be told to lose weight instead of get recommendations for ways I can strengthen my joint support while staying fat and getting fatter.
1 year

What shoes do you wear? Not just while walking or working out, but also at a job. Bigger people need good shoes.
1 year

MitchHedberg:
99% of people have a dominant leg whether they're aware of it or not. Go kick a soccer ball. Which leg did you use? That's your dominant leg.

To add to that though, my left ankle was injured as a kid and I believe I've subconsciously compensated with my right to make up for it.

At the gym I use the hip abductor machine, leg press, a calf raising machine and I'm starting to do wall squats.

I don't know exactly but I do have quite a bit of muscle mass in general and that includes my legs.

I exercise and eat nutritious foods for my join health.

I don't know how to answer your questions about my walking or standing. I walk and stand in a way that's normal to me I guess, and I try to actively avoid ever having my legs completely straight or my knees locked.

I haven't been to a doctor about this yet though I can say with a high degree of certainty that I'll just be told to lose weight instead of get recommendations for ways I can strengthen my joint support while staying fat and getting fatter.

Well, this was a fine way of being told I'm weird. I never use the same leg to kick things. It's all about which is the more convenient leg.

Anyway, you should stand with your feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent. And as another user mentioned, you do need to get proper shoes for your feet. Everyone's feet are different with different needs. Something to look into.

Lastly, if you are eating healthfully, exercising, and still have pain, you really do need to see a doctor. They can better assist you than any internet stranger can - even the ones with a medical degree.

Maybe maintaining a lower weight will help. Maybe it won't. Either way, you'll need to make a choice about what you want. We all know that heavier weights can cause joint damage. You can mitigate it, but the higher you go, the harder it is to avoid.

Burying your head in the sand will not protect you from reality.
1 year

Something to help you a bit:

www.healthline.com/health/shin-splints
1 year