Gaining

Some foods making me sleepy after eating? which ones? hm.

As the title says, this is problematic. I think I may need to avoid such foods. But I wonder what makes some foods have this effect? I'm not inclined to think it's as simple as too many carbs, or too much protein, or too much fat, dairy or otherwise.

If I attempt to eat an entire Tony's Pizza (orange box), I seem to get sleepy for awhile after that. Sometimes, I don't even want to finish that last 1/4. It's definitely not just calorie count. The pepperoni variety is 330 per serving and a "serving" is 1/4 of the pizza, or 1,320 for the entire thing. I liked how relatively cheap it is, especially given the recent inflation effects on food, but this sleepiness effect means I may not be able to buy this anymore. I have things to do, and I can't sleep or nap whenever.

Curiously though, it doesn't seem this way if I drink a cup of heavy cream.

It also doesn't happen if I eat a "pot" of "quick-serve" pasta. You know those packets of Knorr brand fettuccine alfredo with dried powdered sauce inside? Imagine using two packets, following the directions on the back to cook it, except half and half in place of 1-2% milk. That's 1,280 calories and would also include carbs like the pizza I mentioned earlier.

It also didn't happen if I eat cheese and crackers (last time, around 900 calories worth), or when I ate half of a smaller jar (16.3 oz) of Peter Pan peanut butter (1,400 calories in that).

It also doesn't seem to happen if I drink half a liter, or even a liter of soda. It also doesn't happen if I eat chili or anything heavy on meat.

Nor does it happen when I eat those Jimmy John's sandwiches.

I don't even recall having this problem if I have Pizza Hut pizza, though I don't have it often. It seems like most foods don't have this problem.

Unless I'm missing something, which maybe I am, I can't seem to identify a common cause. It doesn't seem to be proportion of carbs, glycemic index, proportion of protein, proportion of fat, or just raw calorie count.

What's so special about that particular pizza? Could there be other foods with this problem? How can I identify them?

I can't gain more weight if I end up feeling drowsy afterward, at which point I don't feel like wanting to do anything, eating or otherwise.
1 year

Could you just be more tired when you eat a pizza? I know somedays I eat dinner and I pretty much go straight to bed after a long day… idk if it’s so much the food as it is your sleep. Do you get a good nights sleep most nights?
1 year

I suppose that's possible, though I can't be sure. Lately I've been under enormous, undue stress and often don't always sleep that well, so sometimes I end up with odd hours.

Awhile back I used to have a problem with the bed being seemingly too hard or not springy enough, though I solved that problem by getting a cheap mattress that's little more than a foam pad to stack on top. Though lately, I've found I seem to sink almost too deep, with the result of being that it's much harder to roll over, or that sometimes I don't making it quite uncomfortable. Although, that I gained about 45 lbs since getting that supplemental mattress might have something to do with it. Tonight I'll try without the supplemental mattress, since the regular mattress seems to have more "give" than I remember, possibly because of the 45 lbs. Hopefully that may make a difference. Of course, I wonder what will happen with the next 50-75 lbs or possibly the next 50 lbs after that. Would hate if I had to get another mattress although, by that point it might be kind of time to do that anyway.

Still, seems odd I experienced that with this particular food item and not others. That was even when I tried eating it a short time after waking up. Only other thought might be that it was way too filling, or it's a lot more filling than it looks. I admit I kind of have this fantasy and goal of being able to eat an entire large size Pizza Hut pizza in a single sitting as my own "personal size" but I'm nowhere near that. Maybe it's a case of my eyes being bigger than my stomach? I don't know.
1 year

A stab in the dark here, but maybe there's something they put on their pizzas that's high in tryptophan?
1 year