General

Family's reaction to right gain

Have they been saying anything particular or just eyes and whispers?
1 year

That told me I need to get my shit together and lose it or I’ll die lol
1 year

I've always said a family should support each other whatever the case.
1 year

I agree, but I understand why they say that stuff
1 year

Families can be hit or miss and you do not owe them anything if they are putting you down. My family have only disappointed me, but for what it’s worth they haven’t put me down for my weight
1 year

Panda2260:
I agree, but I understand why they say that stuff

They don’t always understand or are as excepting. They want what they think is right for you,
1 year

My family have also been in shock over my Weight gain over the last years.
I have gained arround 70 Kgs so far. And im now morbidly obese at the age of 26😅
Some of my family members look at me in disqust when they see me and im even fatter than last year, im the only fat person in my entire family😅😅
1 year

Sl2010:
My family is mostly pretty fatphobic and annoyingly direct. Very few filters. They’re well meaning, not exactly toxic, but it rarely makes me feel good about my weight. I don’t get much (I.e., any) positive reinforcement irl

If your family is doing that, then you need to set boundaries with them. Even if they are well-meaning, there's no need to demean you.

That said, it is a good idea to take care of your health while you gain. Make sure you are getting all the nutrition you need, stay moderately active, and don't skip checkups and appointments because you're afraid of being told to lose weight.
1 year

Sl2010:
My family is mostly pretty fatphobic and annoyingly direct. Very few filters. They’re well meaning, not exactly toxic, but it rarely makes me feel good about my weight. I don’t get much (I.e., any) positive reinforcement irl

Munchies:
If your family is doing that, then you need to set boundaries with them. Even if they are well-meaning, there's no need to demean you.

That said, it is a good idea to take care of your health while you gain. Make sure you are getting all the nutrition you need, stay moderately active, and don't skip checkups and appointments because you're afraid of being told to lose weight.

Sl2010:
I have set boundaries. They don’t say fatphobic things around me any more. They don’t comment on what I eat or how much I’ve gained either. But lack of saying is still lack of positive reinforcement. It’s why I’m here

I get you. There's a big difference between being tolerated and being accepted.

That said, I'm not so sure I'd like my family to comment positively on my eating habits and weight. If anything, I'd prefer them to be neutral - even if I didn't have a weight related fetish. Feels weird.
1 year