Fat experiences

How did you overcome societal pressures?

My family and a few people at school have commented on my weight gain. Stating I have no self control. How did you overcome your internalized fat phobia?
2 weeks

You will not stop people trying to influence your choices, in particular family, schools, doctors ect….. you may find in comes to balance in the relationship, or how important they are. But at the end it comes down to what you want, and what you are prepared to compromise on. To be honest when I was young, I just tolerated people trying to change me, and then did what I wanted. However this cause some anxiety to say the least. I would try and hide my weight gains, or eating.

When I gained independence I was less worried, the issue was more clothing and practical stuff.

At 56 you learned to be yourself and have less concern about criticism. I just wore them down, till they accepted me.

Hope this helps, as it is a very complicated subject.
2 weeks

Iridescent Pearly:
My family and a few people at school have commented on my weight gain. Stating I have no self control. How did you overcome your internalized fat phobia?

Never had any fatphobic comments from anyone other than my family. Mind you, I am not, nor have I ever been fat. They just project their insecurities onto me.

I put up boundaries and enforced them. Took them a few months, but they eventually stopped.
2 weeks

I just agree and amplify when people give me a hard time about my weight size etc like they gotta know that there’s nothing they can say that’ll hurt me, like “yes I am fat, and?” People want a reaction out of you, don’t give them the satisfaction

There’s some people where I’ve just set boundaries with whom I care about and for the most part they respect them.

And my agreeing and amplifing I think comes from a place of self acceptance like yeah I am fat yeah I do like to eat yeah I will end up bigger; but these aren’t moral failings
2 weeks