General

Affirmations or positivity from strangers.

So most of the time we expect to receive negativity and condemnation from strangers, but who has experiences of positive responses, or at least reactions that affirmed your identity?

I don't normally say anything to strangers, partly out of being a little shy and partly out of not wanting to inadvertently offend or be weird, but I always smile and be polite as if there's nothing different. Although I'm sure a few times people have noticed me quickly looking up and down in admiration, it can be hard not to sometimes. When you greet someone though, and get a comfortable smile back with that look in their eyes like they know you liked what you saw; That does make me happy if I made someone feel good about themselves.

I haven't really gotten much feedback myself (except my coworkers poking fun at me for the little bit I gained), but something small the other day made me think about this. The name "SkinnyD" is simply a nickname from work (D is for Dan, not something else), it was a play on the name of another company. I used to be 130 at 5'9" with next to no bodyfat, so pretty skinny.

Anyway the other day I was walking backwards with something when a customer walks back in through the doorway behind me. A coworker, who happens to be a pretty big guy himself, jokingly says "Skinny, you almost ran over the customer!" The customer immediately says "uh, he's not that skinny..." I had to laugh, but I liked that response, something felt good about someone saying I definitely wasn't skinny. I didn't really like the nickname before, but now I enjoy the increasing irony of it, and the customer disputing it was just too funny.
1 month

I’m just about 5’6”, if that, but I often get called “big guy” or hear something like “… because/since you’re a big guy …”. I know they mean fat, which I love hearing.
1 month

I try to be the one doing the affirming. I am in the process of losing some weight, mostly for health reasons, so I have been getting a lot of intended but unwanted 'compliments'. I try to shift the focus and deflect from what I look like or weight, but if pressed, I have told people outright that I was happier fatter but am accepting of myself as I am. This acknowledgement is always met with either joy or resistant confusion; I am happy if that joy makes people love themselves more and when the confusion leads to growth.
1 month

I like to get smiles as affirmation that as big as I am I still have fashion sense and still look reasonably attractive.
I guess that works with guys too because any nicely dressed BHM is always worth a friendly smile from me letting them know they look good.
1 month

Ditzy:
I like to get smiles as affirmation that as big as I am I still have fashion sense and still look reasonably attractive.
I guess that works with guys too because a nicely dressed BHMs are always worth a friendly smile from me letting them know they look good.

I like that! Especially with the “smiles of affirmation” part. The reason why is because I do just that as well when I see an attractive looking plus size person OR a couple. It’s almost like as if I’m cheering on??
4 weeks

Being called big guy or people thinking you are strong simply because you are fat is awesome.
4 weeks

I doubt. I very rarely have good interactions with strangers. Maybe I just live in a city, region, or country full of assholes. But anyway I know it's either due to my appearance. I think there must be places on earth where people are less rude and stupid. When I leave the house and have to go somewhere, I sometimes have mild anticipatory anxiety and fear of running into assholes. And no it's not psychosis or paranoia. So no, it would surprise me if I received affirmations or positivity from strangers one day. I don't expect anything from others.
4 weeks