Gaining

Getting fat in middle age

HanSelo:
Keen to hear from people who gave in to their desires in middle age.

I’m in my mid forties. I’ve hovered around 235lbs since COVID, with occasional indulgent growth spurts, followed by dieting and cardio. A classic yoyo dieter I guess.

I feel like I’m at a crossroads, however, and that I really need to commit to one set of priorities or the other. Either I put everything into the strength and fitness basket, and enjoy a ripped late-forties, or I give in completely to that constant nagging voice, and get fat.

Has anyone else waited until middle age to let go?

Fatluvinguy:
Since you can't decide which way to go, why not do both. I've seen plenty of pics here and elswhere of guys who have a bigger gut, but it's obvious they are still working out with the weights, judging by their arms and chests. I mean you wouldn't have the ripped look of a pure bodybuilder, but you'd have plenty of bulk. The best of both worlds really. Just a thought. Good luck.

This is pretty much where I’ve been hovering for some time now. I can’t see a future in which I don’t train; it’s something I enjoy too much.

I’ve recently upped my calorie intake quite a bit, and the impact it has on strength and endurance is noticeable. I’m looking forward to seeing other benefits, too.
4 days

Getting fat in middle age

HanSelo:
Keen to hear from people who gave in to their desires in middle age.

I’m in my mid forties. I’ve hovered around 235lbs since COVID, with occasional indulgent growth spurts, followed by dieting and cardio. A classic yoyo dieter I guess.

I feel like I’m at a crossroads, however, and that I really need to commit to one set of priorities or the other. Either I put everything into the strength and fitness basket, and enjoy a ripped late-forties, or I give in completely to that constant nagging voice, and get fat.

Has anyone else waited until middle age to let go?

Fatluvinguy:
Since you can't decide which way to go, why not do both. I've seen plenty of pics here and elswhere of guys who have a bigger gut, but it's obvious they are still working out with the weights, judging by their arms and chests. I mean you wouldn't have the ripped look of a pure bodybuilder, but you'd have plenty of bulk. The best of both worlds really. Just a thought. Good luck.

AnorexicPretty:
Seconding what Fatluvinguy said here. Big muscles AND big gut? That’s perfection.

Musclechub/strongfat definitely appeals.
4 days
12   loading