Gaining

Anyone else feel conlicted...?

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, never heard of the book you refered to but it makes sense, my whole interest in this is tied to my sexuality, which is actually at polar opposites to my morality, If I could get rid of my sexuality, I would have no need to hang around here, but there is no way thats happening (trust me, i've tried lol) so I suppose we gotta learn to balance everything that makes us who we are. smiley
13 years

What does not make sense is the notion of "losing weight for your health." Since only about 5% of the people keep the weight off, and probably 60% regain more than what they started with, someone who diets has a 5% chance of being smaller, a 35% chance of being the same, and 60% chance of being bigger.

Now, if someone has high sugar, avoid sugar. If you have high cholesterol, then avoid fats. If someone has HBP avoid salt.

Dieting is an obsessive-compulsive behavior. And studies show that yoyo dieting is more unhealthy than being fat.

I guess the hardest thing to understand is when people say that diets don't work when you diet to please your SO or parents, but then think it works for "your health." A diet is a diet, no matter the purpose.

And because diets don't work, changing the name of a diet to anything else, including "lifestyle change," won't make a difference. Any change in eating to lose weight is a diet, no matter what you call it.

And since being large has a number of causes, including mediicine side effects, hormonal changes, genetics, etc., eating less will not change those factors.
13 years

I also meant to say that exercise is good. But exercise should be for the sake of being healthy, not for the sake of losing weight. Just like eating healthy is good, but should not be for the sake of losing weight.
13 years

...what is a jacket potato!?smiley
13 years

shazzy wrote
Amatrix wrote

A potato cooked in the oven.. whole with the skin on.... baked potato?

About the only potato i'll eat smiley
13 years

I agree with Shazzy--I felt put off by the OP, and if it's over-sensitive, I don't feel terrible about that. At least here we should be trying to be sensitive to fat folks.

Sexydisaster wrote
It is a mathematical certainty if one eats more calories than one burns, the end result is extra weight.

I agree with almost all of Sexydisaster's post except that one sentence. While this still gets bandied about, it's pretty clear from substantial medical evidence that 'calories in - calories used = weight gain/loss' is not true. While there is surely some relationship, it is substantially mediated by a host of known, and presumably at least some still unknowns, bodily processes that determine how and when fat is stored.
13 years

shazzy wrote
Amatrix wrote

A potato cooked in the oven.. whole with the skin on.... baked potato?

Oh I see! How cute! I want potatoes in jackets now.

Maximum wrote

Really? You dont like other version of spuds? Not fried... or mashed?
13 years

Amatrix wrote
Maximum wrote

Not really, I'm a notoriously picky eater, I'll eat chips and stuff but mashed potato is like eating mush, yuck! lol

Baked Potatos (or jacket as some people call them) are really good though, fresh and hot, drowning in butter...
13 years

Maximum wrote
Amatrix wrote
Maximum wrote

Not really, I'm a notoriously picky eater, I'll eat chips and stuff but mashed potato is like eating mush, yuck! lol

Baked Potatos (or jacket as some people call them) are really good though, fresh and hot, drowning in butter...

Butter mushy yumm...
I promise to not hijack this thread. smiley
13 years