Food and recipes

Five cheese baked mostaccioli or ziti

FIVE CHEESE BAKED MOSTACCIOLI OR ZITI

Makes 10x15 dish, serves 6-8 people (cut in ½ for less or save extra for leftovers)

INGREDIENTS
- 16 Oz Box of Mostaccioli or Ziti Pasta
- 2 13 Oz Packs (8 links) of Italian Chicken Sausage (or other sausage type)
- 2 Tbsp Minced Onion (Dried or Fresh)
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic (Dried or Fresh)
- 2 Tbsp Rosemary (Dried or Fresh)
- Olive Oil
- 2 25 Oz Jars of Favorite Tomato Sauce (I use a San Marzano Tomato based sauce)
- 4 Cups Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 Cup Shredded Parmesan/Romano/Asiago/Provolone Blend (or other combination of cheese)

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. PASTA: Fill a large pan with water and cook on high until boiling.
3. SASUAGE: While waiting for water to boil, heat olive oil in pan and add onion, garlic, and rosemary. Heat on medium until soft if fresh, or until aroma is released, then add in sausage. Break it apart into a ground sausage size and continue cooking on medium until done (about 10-15 minutes).
4. PASTA: Add to boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. It should be al dente, not too soft. Drain and set aside for assembly.
5. ASSEMBLY: Pour half a jar of pasta sauce into bottom of glass dish or pan, then spread half of drained pasta evenly on top. Top with half a jar of pasta sauce, then spread half of sausage evenly on top. Press down with spatula. Spread two cups of mozzarella cheese, and ½ cup of four cheese blend over sausage, then pour half a jar of pasta sauce over it. Spread second half of drained pasta on top, then pour final half jar of pasta sauce over it. Top with other half of sausage, then press down with spatula, and add two cups of mozzarella cheese, and ½ cup of four cheese blend on top.
6. BAKING: Bake for 20 minutes with foil loosely tented on top (avoid it touching top of cheese so it doesn’t stick to it. After 20 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until cheese melted as much as desired.

ADD BREAD: Buy or make a fresh loaf of Italian or French style bread and cut into 1-inch slices. Add garlic spread and bake with pasta for 10 minutes after removing foil. Then add a layer of the four cheese blend or other cheese combo and bake for another 5-10 minutes until cheese melted as much as desired. Should finish at the same time as the pasta.
4 years
attachment
attachment
attachment

Five cheese baked mostaccioli or ziti

Thank you for this! My mother-in-law made virtually this identical same dish but I didn't get a full recipe.

She added a layer of ricotta in the middle so it was similar to a lasagna. And hers was a 50/50 blend of crumbled sausage and ground beef so it had more of a meatball flavor to it.

My sister-in-law ate 4 plates of it with garlic bread. Now I know how she maintains her 325lbs! 🤣🇮🇹
4 years